Go to Base Symbols
This command allows you to navigate up the inheritance hierarchy to a base type or method
of the current symbol.
You can invoke this command from the code viewer, from the
File Structure and other tool windows.
Navigation in the opposite direction is available with the Go to Derived Symbols and Go to Implementation commands.
To navigate to a base symbol
- Place the caret on a symbol in the code viewer or select the symbol in a tool window.
- In the main menu, choose or press Ctrl+U.
- If the selected symbol has one base symbol, dotPeek will navigate to it directly.
If the selected symbol has more than one base symbol, they will be listed in a drop-down list.
The drop-down list may contain items in both bold and regular font. Bold indicates that an item has
direct inheritance, while the regular font is used for indirect inheritance.
You can do one of the following:
- Click on the desired item to open it in the editor.
- Select the desired item by pressing UpArrow and DownArrow and the press Enter to open it in the editor.
- Start typing to filter results. Note that you can use CamelHumps here. If necessary, press Esc once to clear the filtering.
- To view and analyze the list of matched items in the Find Results window, click Show in Find Results or press + on the numeric keypad.
- To show the matched items on the type dependency diagram, press Alt+Num+ or click Show on Diagram .
If a method overrides, implements, or hides another method, you can see it by the presence of a special icon (for example, ) that appears to the left of the method declaration. Hover the mouse over this icon to see the base type for this method; click the icon to navigate up the methods hierarchy.
This feature is inspired by and borrowed from JetBrains ReSharper, a developer productivity tool for Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Go to Everything/Type
- Go to Assembly
- Go to File Member
- Go to Symbol
- Go to Derived Symbols
- Go to Declaration
- Go to Implementation
- Go to Type of Symbol
- Go to Usages of Symbol
- Navigate to
- Go to Containing Declaration
- Navigation by Name
- Navigation from Symbols
- Navigate To
- Context-Dependent Navigation
- Navigating to Recent Locations
- Structural Search and Replace