Recording Coverage of Manual Test Session
As soon as you start a manual test session for the startup project or for an external application, dotCover shows the Coverage Controller dialog box that helps recording coverage during the test session.
To record code coverage during manual test session
- Run the target application (the startup project or an external application) under dotCover control.
- If the Start immediately check box was enabled during startup, dotCover starts collecting coverage data right away. Otherwise, make the necessary preparations and then click Start in the Coverage Controller dialog.
- In the tested application, go through the scenario of the test session.
- If you did something wrong during the test session, click Drop in the Coverage Controller dialog box to clear the coverage results, and then click Start to restart the test session.
- When the test session is finished, click Get Snapshot'n'Wait. The snapshot will be opened in the Coverage Results Browser.
While the target application or process is running, you can perform several test sessions starting each one by clicking the Start and finishing by clicking Get Snapshot'n'Wait. When everything is finished, click Kill All of close the Coverage Controller dialog box and the tested application.
If necessary, you can expand application details to see application processes and number of taken snapshots:
If you run coverage analysis for a Web Application on Visual Studio Development Server or Web Application on IIS Or IIS Express Server, dotCover will terminate the web server process when you click Kill Process or close the Coverage Controller dialog box; web browser process is not terminated.
To learn how to study the coverage results, see Working with Coverage Results.