No matter what type of coverage analysis you perform, coverage of unit tests, coverage of manual tests, or coverage of tests on server side, dotCover saves the results in a coverage snapshot. You can then further investigate these results using one of the tool windows of dotCover:
Coverage Results Browser - this tool window allows opening coverage snapshots
recorded during manual test sessions or saved in a file.
When the current snapshot contains assemblies that correspond to the current solution, you can navigate to source code of any item within the snapshot by double-clicking on it.
Unit Test Sessions - this tool window displays the hierarchy of unit
tests in the current test session. The
Coverage area in this window allows displaying coverage tree
and synchronizing it with unit tests.
Coverage analysis options here are the same as in the Coverage Results Browser, plus you can view total coverage of each unit test or test class.
The ways of exploring and studying coverage results include:
- Visualizing Code Coverage right in the editor according to the coverage results.
- Detecting Hot Spots to quickly find potential risk areas.
- Navigation to Covering Tests that cover a particular statement in your code.
- Locating Code Items in Coverage Tree (types, methods, etc.) to see how well they are covered in the current snapshot.
- Searching Coverage Tree to quickly find code items in the coverage tree.
- Saving and Loading Coverage Snapshot to return to the analyzed results later or to share the results.
- Excluding Nodes from Coverage Snapshot to recalculate coverage statistics.
- Viewing Total Coverage of Particular Unit Test Item to recalculate the total coverage.
- Matching Coverage Snapshot with Project Structure that makes navigation within a snapshot more comfortable.
- Exporting Coverage Results into reports in one of the following formats: HTML, XML, JSON, and XML for NDepend .
- Setting up Coverage Filters
- Execution and Coverage Analysis of Unit Tests
- Coverage Analysis of Manual Test Sessions
- Coverage Analysis on Server Side