Profile Running Process
To profile an already running process:
- Run dotMemory as a standalone application. The dotMemory window will open.
- In the left panel, select Attach.
- In the middle panel, select the .NET process you are going to profile. Only processes running on .NET Framework 4.0 or higher are displayed and available to attach.
- Optionally, if you are going to control profiling session (take snapshots, end session, and so on) using the API (rather than the Controller window), select Control profiling via API in the right panel. For more details on how to control profiling using the API, refer to the Controlling Profiling Session Through API chapter.
- Click Run.
- Take snapshots. For more details on how to control profiling session, refer to Controlling Profiling Session (if you control the session manually) or to Controlling Profiling Session Through API (if you control profiling using the API).
- After you collect the data, either close the profiled application or detach the profiler using the Detach button of the Controller window. If you use the API to control profiling, detaching must be executed by your code.
- Analyze the collected snapshots.
Last modified: 16 January 2018