Increasing Memory Heap
To prevent the build process from running out of memory, you can increase the amount of memory allocated to the process. By default, the memory heap is 128 MB, but for large projects you may need more.
In this section:
Increasing memory heap of the build process
To increase a memory heap
- Open the Build File Properties dialog box.
- In the Maximum heap size field, type the required amount of memory.
Please note the following:
The memory heap of the build process is independent of IntelliJ IDEA memory heap, and is released after the build process is complete.
The memory heap available to IntelliJ IDEA may be changed by editing the corresponding VM options.
To avoid editing files in the IntelliJ IDEA installation folder, one should:
- Do one of the following:
- Use the main menu command to create a copy
idea.vmoptionsfile in the user home. Refer to Edit Custom VM Options for details.
- Copy the existing file from the IntelliJ IDEA installation folder somewhere and save the
path to this location in the environment variable
- Copy the existing file
<IntelliJ IDEA installation folder>/bin/idea$BITS.vmoptionsfrom the IntelliJ IDEA installation folder into the location under user home.
- Use the main menu command to create a copy of the
- Edit this file in the new location.
IDEA_VM_OPTIONS environment variable is defined, or the
*.vmoptions file exists, then this file is used instead of the one located in
the IntelliJ IDEA installation folder.