Creating and Editing Run/Debug Configurations
On this page:
With the Navigation bar visible (), the available run/debug configurations are displayed in the run/debug configuration selector in the Run area:
IntelliJ IDEA provides the Run/Debug Configuration dialog box as a tool for handling run/debug configurations: create configuration profiles or change the default ones.
IntelliJ IDEA suggests the following ways to create a run/debug configuration:
- Create a run configuration manually on the base of the default one, using the Run/Debug Configuration dialog box.
- Save a temporary run configuration.
- Specify the target application server during module creation. IntelliJ IDEA will generate a run/debug configuration of the corresponding type.
Also, the Run/Debug configuration can be deleted automatically for the deleted/obsolete
targets, if this capability is enabled. See details here.
Note, that this capability is applicable only to those configurations that had being created automatically by CLion.
Creating a run/debug configuration
To create a run/debug configuration, follow these steps:
- In the Run/Debug Configuration dialog box, click on
the toolbar or press Alt+Insert.
The drop-down list shows the default run/debug configurations. Select the desired configuration type.
The fields that appear in the right pane, display the default settings for the selected configuration type.
For the new run/debug configuration:
- Specify its name in the Name text box. This name will be shown in the list of the available run/debug configurations.
- Specify whether you want to make IntelliJ IDEA check execution status of
the instances of the same run/debug configuration. If you want to make sure that only one instance
of the run/debug configuration is currently executed, select the check box
Single instance only. In this case, a confirmation dialog box will show up
every time you try to launch run/debug configuration, when one instance of the same type is still
If this check box is not selected, you can launch as many instances of the runner as required. As the result, each runner will start in its own tab of the Run tool window.
- In the Before launch section, define whether you want to compile the modified sources, and run an Ant or Maven script.
- In the Configuration tab,
specify the class that contains the
main()method, VM options, program arguments, working directory and other configuration-specific settings.
- In the Logs tab, specify the options that control
output logs produced while running or debugging application.
In particular, specify whether IntelliJ IDEA will display the standard output and standard error output to the console.
- For the various servers, set up the deployment and startup/connection options.
- For the applications and tests, click the Code Coverage tab (for example, in applications run/debug configuration), and specify the options that define code coverage measurement for testing purposes.
- Specify additional parameters depending on the configuration type. Refer to the descriptions of run/debug configuration parameters below the Run/Debug Configurations section.
- Apply the changes and close the dialog box.
Editing an existing run/debug configuration
To change an existing run/debug configuration:
- On the main menu, choose .
- With the Navigation Bar visible (), choose from the run/debug configurations selector.
- Press Shift+Alt+F10, then press 0 to display the Edit Configuration dialog box or select the configuration from the pop-up window and press F4.
In the corresponding run/debug configuration dialog box, change parameters as required.