IntelliJ IDEA Viewing Modes
IntelliJ IDEA provides special view modes:
- Full Screen mode allows you to use the entire screen for coding. This removes all menus from view, as well as the operating system controls. However, you can use context menus and keyboard shortcuts. The main menu is also available when you hover the mouse pointer over the top of the screen.
- Presentation mode is similar to the Full Screen mode, but it is designed for making presentations that involve coding with IntelliJ IDEA. In this mode, IntelliJ IDEA increases the font size and hides everything except the editor. If necessary, tool windows can also be displayed in this view using the corresponding items in the menu.
- Distraction-free mode shows no toolbars, no tool windows, no editor tabs; the code is center-aligned, etc.
These actions are available only through the Configuring Keyboard Shortcuts.menu. By default they are not mapped to any shortcuts but you can create your own shortcuts as described in
Toggling the full screen mode
Besides manipulating the tool windows (show/hide or resize them), IntelliJ IDEA makes it possible to maximize the entire product window, hiding the main menu.
- To switch to the full screen mode, choose on the main menu.
- To exit the full screen mode, choose on the main menu.
Toggling the presentation mode
In the presentation mode, the editor occupies the entire screen, while all the other IntelliJ IDEA components are hidden.
Besides that, the font size in this mode is larger than usual. You can define the font size for the presentation mode in the Appearance page of the Settings/Preferences dialog.
- To switch to the presentation mode, choose on the main menu.
- To exit the presentation mode, choose on the main menu.
Toggling the distraction-free mode
In the distraction-free mode, the editor occupies the entire IntelliJ IDEA frame, without any editor tabs and tool-window buttons. The code is center-aligned.
- To switch to the distraction-free mode, choose on the main menu.
- To exit the distraction-free mode, choose .
Toggling the viewing modes in the Switch pop-up list
- Press Ctrl+Back Quote or choose on the main menu.
- In the Switch pop-up list that opens, choose View mode.
- On the context menu, choose the required mode. The contents of the menu depend on your current mode:
- Enter Presentation Mode/Exit Presentation Mode
- Enter Distraction Free Mode/Exit Distraction Free Mode
- Enter Full Screen/Exit Full Screen