Creating and Registering File Types
On this page:
You can create custom file types to enable parsing these files in the editor by defining highlighting schemes for keywords, comments, numbers, etc. To enable PhpStorm decide how to treat a file, you need to associate each file type with relevant extensions.
Creating a file type
To create a new file type
- Open the Settings/Preferences dialog by choosing for Windows and Linux or for macOS. Then select Editor | File Types. Find more on page Accessing Settings/Preferences.
- On the File Types page that opens, click .
- In the New File Type dialog box that opens, specify the name of the new type and optionally provide a description.
- In the Syntax Highlighting section, specify the characters for line and block comments, hex prefixes, and number postfixes.
- In the Keywords section, specify sets of keywords using the tabs from 1 to 4. To do so, select the desired tab, click (Alt+Insert), and enter the keyword name in the Add New Keyword dialog box that opens.
Registering a file type
To associate a file type with extensions
- Open the File Types settings page.
- From the Recognized File Types list, select the desired type.
- In the Registered Patterns area, complete the list of patterns that define the file extensions to indicate that the corresponding files belong to the selected type. Do one of the following:
- To register a new pattern, click (Alt+Insert) and enter the desired extension pattern in the Add Wildcard dialog box that opens.
- To update a pattern, select it in the list, click the Edit button and make the necessary changes in the Edit Wildcard dialog box that opens.
- To remove a pattern from the list, select it and click (Alt+Delete).