Using Help Topics
In this section:
- Documentation structure
- Built-in documentation
This type of documentation is available for Professional edition only.
- Online documentation
This type of documentation is available for both Professional and Community editions.
PyCharm documentation has the following structure:
- Meet PyCharm
This part contains system requirements and installation information, quick start guide that helps you get a grip of PyCharm, the section First Steps with the tutorials that help you perform the most basic actions - create and run your first application.
- Migration Guides
This part is intended for the users of Vim, Emacs, or Sublime Text, who are thinking about switching to PyCharm.
- How to
On the PyCharm site, find online documentation:
The online version makes it possible to find entries in the table of contents, browse documentation with the table of contents, rate topics and express your opinion. The layout of online documentation consists of:
- Table of contents pane
This pane shows the table of contents.
- Use this pane to browse through the topics.
- Click button to show or hide this pane.
- If for some reason your browser fails to show actual table of contents, refresh the page.
- Topics pane
This pane shows the topic that is currently selected in the table of contents.
- In the Keymap drop-down list, choose the platform you want to view keyboard shortcuts in (Windows/Linux, macOS etc.)
Finding a piece of information in the table of contents
- Switch to the Table of contents pane.
- In the Search PyCharm help field, type your query.
- Press Enter.
The table contents shrinks to show the search results. Click the desired entry to show the corresponding page in the Topic pane.