In this section:
Move refactorings: basics
The Move refactorings allow you to move files and directories within a project. So doing, WebStorm tracks these movements and automatically corrects all references to the moved symbols in the source code.
- The Move File refactoring moves a file to another directory.
- The Move Directory refactoring moves a directory to another directory.
- The Move Static Member refactoring moves a static method, variable, or constant from one class to another.
Moving a file or a directory to another directory
To move a file or directory to another directory, follow these steps:
- Select the file or directory in the Project tool window.
Do one of the following:
The dialog that opens depends on the type of the selected symbol.
- In the To directory field, specify the folder to move the selected file or folder to. Choose an existing folder from the drop-down list or type the full path to the parent folder to be created.
- To have the references to the selected file or folder updated according to the refactoring result, select the Search for references check box.