Licensing & Upgrade
IntelliJ IDEA 14.x Personal License
Including 1-year Upgrade Subscription
IntelliJ IDEA Annual Upgrade Subscription Plan
Annual Upgrade Subscription is a cost-effective way to stay current with the new product releases. The subscription allows you to:
- Save 20% off the regular upgrade cost;
- Receive any new generally available releases of IntelliJ IDEA while your subscription is valid, with no additional charge; and
- Receive unlimited technical support via e-mail.
Annual Upgrade Subscription is a paid plan that can be included with a new license purchase or with an upgrade purchase for IntelliJ IDEA. Upgrade subscription requires annual renewal. You can renew your upgrade subscription while it is valid or within 1 year of its expiration. Regardless of the actual date when you renew your upgrade subscription, the new term of your upgrade subscription will always start on the date following your previous upgrade subscription expiration date, to ensure continuous upgrades and technical support.
Optional Upgrade Plan
IntelliJ IDEA licenses without an Annual Upgrade Subscription qualify for:
- free minor releases for the licensed version of IntelliJ IDEA; and
- unlimited technical support via e-mail.
Major releases are provided at an additional upgrade charge. If you are an existing IntelliJ IDEA customer, you can contact sales to check your current license status and upgrade eligibility.
Commercial Licenses are available to legal entities, including companies and organizations (both for-profit and non-profit), requiring the software for general commercial use. Commercial Licenses that are registered in a legal entity name allow for use of the software on any computer, operating system, and by any developer within a legal entity, provided that the total number of concurrent users never exceeds the number of purchased licenses.
If you are not sure that a Commercial License is right for you, check the license comparison chart.
Per concurrent user model
A number of purchased licenses enables a legal entity to use the software by the corresponding number of developers at a time.
A single license allows for use of the software on different operating systems, provided that it's not concurrent use.
A license is perpetual to the purchased version of the software. Upgrades are optional and provided pursuant to the IntelliJ IDEA maintenance terms. Each subsequent upgrade automatically terminates rights for use of the previous versions.
Use of the software is restricted to a licensed legal entity with no right to transfer the software to third parties.
For complete details, please check our standard IntelliJ IDEA License Agreement.
Bulk purchases qualify for volume discounts. Our volume discounts are based per-transaction and are not cumulative. For more details and a price quotation, please contact sales. Customers who purchase (or already own) over 20 user licenses of IntelliJ IDEA can also benefit from our license server, which easily enables license administration across a single network.
Startup Discount Plan
As a company that stared from zero by developers less than 10 years ago and made itself a reputation in the software development world, JetBrains recognizes that small startups have limited cash flow before they have their projects and client database built up. Therefore we decided to initiate a special discount plan for startup companies to support their projects with high quality development tools.
Our startup discount plan* allows qualifying companies to obtain and maintain any JetBrains software with a 50% of our standard commercial pricing within 1 calendar year.
Startup discount plan is available to a startup company which is:
- privately held
- established business with a web site and/or with existing public references in the internet
- engaged in development of a software-based product or service
- 3 or less years in business
- has 10 or less employees
If your company meets the these criteria, please tell us a little bit more about your startup business to find out what discount plan you are eligible for by filling in this short form.
* this is a limited time offer.
The JetBrains License Server is designed to support a floating license model and to help corporate users perform license administration across a single network.
Major Features and Benefits:
- Stores multiple license keys on a single (server) machine.
- Provides clients with access to the software on an "as needed" basis. Access to a specific product is restricted to the number of product license keys stored by the license server
- Enables monitoring of the software usage by providing user info, product info and usage time via log files
- Eliminates license administration issues such as identifying license location, distributing licenses between multiple machines, and transferring licenses between users
- Cross-platform compatible
- Easy to set up and use
- Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)/Java SE Development Kit (JDK) v.5 or later, and one of the
following operating systems:
- Windows® (2000, NT 4.0 or higher, XP), or
- Linux/UNIX-based OS, or
- Macintosh OSX™
- Apache Tomcat 6.0
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0 for accessing the License Server control panel
- IntelliJ IDEA v. 7.0 or higher (Commercial Licenses).
- ReSharper v. 3.1 or higher (Commercial Licenses for all editions)
- dotTrace v. 3.1 or higher (Floating Licenses only)
- RubyMine v. 1.0 or higher (Commercial Licenses only)
- AppCode v. 1.0 or higher (Commercial Licenses only)
- PyCharm v. 1.0 or higher (Commercial Licenses only)
- PhpStorm v. 1.0 or higher (Commercial Licenses only)
- WebStorm v. 1.0 or higher (Commercial Licenses only)
You can have earlier versions of the above products or use other license types on your network, but you cannot manage them using License Server
The License Server is available to customers of IntelliJ IDEA, other IDEs or ReSharper who own or purchase 20+ Commercial Licenses. Also, the License Server is provided as part of dotTrace Floating License purchases.
If you are interested in obtaining the License Server, please contact us.
If you, as an individual, are purchasing a product license using your own funds, then the personal license is right for you.
Personal licenses cannot be purchased by companies in any way or form.
Pursuant to the Personal License Agreement, personal licenses may not be transferred to any third party, nor can a company reimburse an individual for a personal license he/she purchased.
However, an individual may use personal licenses that he/she privately purchased on any hardware, including company hardware.
If you are not sure that a personal license is right for you, check the license comparison chart.
Named User License Model
A Personal License is a named-user license which restricts the use of the software to the person who purchased that license. The license allows for installation of the software on different computers (at work and/or at home), provided that multiple instances of the software will not be used at the same time.
A Personal License allows for use of the software on different operating systems, provided that they are not used at the same time.
A Personal License can be used indefinitely, for the purchased version of the software. Upgrades are optional and provided pursuant to the IntelliJ IDEA upgrade subscription terms. Each subsequent upgrade automatically terminates your rights to use the previous versions of the software.
Upgrades and technical support
Personal licenses purchased starting October, 30, 2013, include a 1-year upgrade subscription. The upgrade subscription qualifies for free upgrades to all new IntelliJ IDEA releases and unlimited access to technical support via e-mail. To continue receiving upgrades after that period, you should renew your upgrade subscription. Subscription renewals commence from the expiration of your previous subscription period, regardless of when the subscription renewal is actually purchased.
Personal License restrictions
A Personal License is not available to a company or an individual who expects reimbursement of the license fee from a company. A Personal License is the property of an individual who has purchased it using his/her own funds. Transfer of a personal license to a company or other individuals is prohibited by the IntelliJ IDEA Personal License Agreement.
For complete details, please check our standard IntelliJ IDEA Personal License Agreement.