Fully customizable code style settings
IntelliJ IDEA is a fully customizable IDE. It allows you to specify the preferred code style settings for different file types and multiple formatting aspects that you can save under different names for future use. For example, you can specify:
- Names prefixes and suffixes, order of members, and comments styling
- Rules for indents and braces (tab and indent size can be specified per file type)
- Wrapping rules for common syntactic turns
- Appearance of blank lines and spaces
- Import statements organization
- JavaDoc format options, including right margin wrapping
- Prefixes and suffixes for J2EE names
Customizable colors and fonts in all editors
All colors and fonts in the editor are customizable. They can be defined on a file-type basis and previewed directly in the dialog. Each set of definitions can be stored under a unique name, for future use. It is even possible to customize the colors for highlighting different file status under version control, and much more.
Powerful code formatter
You may easily reformat a file, selected block of code, or all files in any directory according to your code style settings. Just press Ctrl + Alt +L and select the necessary option.
The pasted blocks of code, as well as the automatically generated blocks, will automatically format according to your current formatting settings.
Customizable syntax highlighting for arbitrary file formats
While IntelliJ IDEA supports such file formats as:
- html and xml
- as well as allows users to define custom file formats
It is also rather easy to configure the IDE in such a way that each file format will have its syntax highlighting colors shown according to your personal code style preference.
Differentiating code symbols with syntax highlighting
For java files, you can tune highlighting so that code symbols differ from each other by color, background or font effects. You can define the color schema for:
- Abstract Class
- Local Variable
- Instance field
- Static field
- Method call
- Static Method call
- And more