Analyzing XDebug Profiling Data
When integration with XDebug profiler is enabled, IntelliJ IDEA provides visual representation of profiler snapshots. IntelliJ IDEA opens a separate editor tab with four views where the data are presented based on different criteria.
To have the profiling data collected and analyze it, perform these general steps:
To initiate a debugging session, do one of the following
- To start debugging an entire application with a configuration, create debug configuration of the type PHP Web Application, and launch debugging by clicking the Debug toolbar button .
- To debug a specific PHP HTTP request, define a debug configuration of the type PHP HTTP Request, and launch debugging by clicking the Debug toolbar button .
- Enable control over the debugger from the browser.
- Generate bookmarklets to toggle the debugger through.
- Open the starting page of your application in the browser.
- To activate XDebug from the browser, choose the XDebug Start Profiler bookmark.
- Refresh the page.
- Return to IntelliJ IDEA and continue the session.
To retrieve the collected profiling data
- On the main menu, choose Tools | Analyze XDebug Profiler Snapshot .
In the Select XDebug profiler snapshot dialog box, that opens,
choose the folder and the file where the profiling data is stored.
IntelliJ IDEA presents the collected profiling data in a separate editor tab with the name of the selected profiler output file.
To view and examine the profiling data, perform these general steps
- In the Execution Statistics view, examine the summary information about execution metrics of every called function.
- In the Call Tree view, explore the execution paths of all called functions.
- To explore the execution paths of a specific function, select the function in question in the Call Tree view and view its callees in the Callees view.
- To explore all the paths that can result in calling a specific function, select the function in question in the Call Tree view and examine its possible callers in the Callers view.