Analyzing Zend Debugger Profiling Data
When integration with the Zend Debugger profiler is enabled, IntelliJ IDEA provides visual representation of profiler snapshots. IntelliJ IDEA opens a separate editor tab with four views where the data are presented based on different criteria.
With Zend Debugger, profiling is supported within a zero configuration debugging session.
To have the profiling data collected and analyze it, perform these general steps:
To initiate a debugging session
- Enable control over the debugger from the browser.
- Generate bookmarklets to toggle the debugger through.
- Open the starting page of your application in the browser.
- To activate Zend Debugger from the browser, choose the Zend Start Profiler bookmark.
- Refresh the page.
- Return to IntelliJ IDEA.
In the dialog box, that opens, select the incoming connection to profile and click Accept.
The Incoming Connection from Zend Debugger dialog box appears only once, when you accept connection from this host for the first time.
IntelliJ IDEA presents the collected profiling data in a separate editor tab with the name of the selected profiler output file.
To view and examine the profiling data, perform these general steps
- In the Execution Statistics view, examine the summary information about execution metrics of every called function.
- In the Call Tree view, explore the execution paths of all called functions.
- To explore the execution paths of a specific function, select the function in question in the Call Tree view and view its callees in the Callees view.
- To explore all the paths that can result in calling a specific function, select the function in question in the Call Tree view and examine its possible callers in the Callers view.