Preparing for ActionScript or Flex Application Development
To prepare for ActionScript or Flex application development:
- Make sure that the Flash/Flex Support plugin is enabled.
- Download and install a Flex or AIR SDK on your computer. IntelliJ IDEA provides integration with Apache Flex, Adobe Flex, Adobe AIR and Adobe Gaming SDKs.
- Register the Flex or AIR SDK in IntelliJ IDEA. (You can postpone this step until a later time. You will be able to specify the SDK when creating a Flash module.)
- Check general Flex compiler settings and, if necessary, adjust them to your needs.
- Create a new project with a Flash module, or add a Flash module to an existing project.
See Creating a Flash module.
Note that you can create a project or a module by importing Adobe Flash Builder projects.
- Check the initial module configuration and make the necessary adjustments.
These may include configuring the module contents,
modifying the existing build configuration and creating additional ones, etc.
All these tasks, however, may be performed at a later time, when needed, in parallel with developing your source code.
Registering a Flex or AIR SDK in IntelliJ IDEA
- Open the Project Structure dialog (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S).
- Under Platform Settings, click SDKs.
- Click Add New SDK on the toolbar, and then click Flex/AIR SDK in the Add New SDK list.
In the dialog that opens,
select the directory in which the Flex or AIR SDK is installed and click OK.
As a result, the SDK configuration is shown on the SDK page in the right-hand part of the Project Structure dialog.
Generally, you don't need to make any changes on the Classpath and
Sourcepath tabs because all the necessary libraries and sources are already there.
However, you may want to add external online documentation to be able to
access additional reference information when writing your code. To do that:
On the Documentation Paths tab, click (Alt+S). In the dialog that opens, just click OK. (The URL suggested by IntelliJ IDEA is the one that you want.)
- Click OK in the Project Structure dialog.
Configuring general Flex compiler settings
- Open the Settings dialog (Ctrl+Alt+S, File | Settings, or on the toolbar).
- In the left-hand part of the dialog, under Project Settings, open the Compiler node and click Flex Compiler.
- On the Compiler > Flex Compiler page, configure the settings as required.
Creating a Flash module
Do one of the following:
If you are going to create a new project:
click Create New Project on the Welcome screen or
select File | New Project.
As a result, the New Project wizard opens.
If you are going to add a module to an existing project:
open the project you want to add a module to, and
select File | New Module.
As a result, the New Module wizard opens.
- If you are going to create a new project: click Create New Project on the Welcome screen or select File | New Project.
- On the first page of the wizard, in the left-hand pane, select Flash.
In the right-hand part of the page, select the necessary options.
For more information, see Flash.
Specify the name and location settings. For more information,
see Project Name and Location or Module Name and Location.
Configuring module contents
- Open the Project Structure dialog.
- Under Project Settings, select Modules.
- In the area under , select the necessary Flash module.