Uploading and Downloading Files
There are the following main ways to synchronize project files with their copies on the local or remote server:
- Manually, through a menu command.
Automatically, every time a file is updated.
In this case, the default server configuration is used.
You can additionally configure this upload method to have only manually saved files uploaded.
- Automatically, before launching the application or starting a debugging session. This method is available for PHP applications only,
- Automatically after the changes to the files are checked in to your version control repository.
Besides uploading files, you can also have IntelliJ IDEA download files that were deployed according to the default server configuration.
In this section:
- Uploading files and folders manually
- Uploading application sources automatically before application start
- Uploading changed files automatically
- Uploading checked in files immediately after commit
- Suppressing automatic upload
- Downloading files
To upload files or folders manually
- Choose Tools | Deployment on the main menu.
Do one of the following:
- To run the upload according to the default configuration, choose Upload to <default server configuration>.
- To run the upload according to a specific configuration, choose Upload to. Then from the pop-up menu, select the server configuration that defines access to the required server.
To have application sources uploaded automatically before application start
- During creation of a run/debug configuration, click the Add button and choose the Upload Files to Remote Host task from the list.
In the Upload to Remote Host dialog box that opens, specify the following:
- The server configuration to access the required server.
- The local root folders to upload. All the folders and files under the specified roots will be uploaded.
To have IntelliJ IDEA upload changed files automatically
- Open the Options dialog box by doing one of the following:
In the Upload changed files automatically to the default server drop-down list, specify when you want IntelliJ IDEA to upload changed files:
- To have IntelliJ IDEA upload any saved file no matter whether the save was invoked manually or automatically, choose Always.
- To have IntelliJ IDEA upload only files that were saved manually, choose On explicit save action.
To have IntelliJ IDEA upload newly checked in files immediately after commit
- Start checking in your changes.
- In the After Commit area, choose the target server from the Upload file to drop-down list. Choose one of the existing server access configurations or create a new one: click the Browse button and configure access to the relevant server in the Deployment dialog box that opens.
- To have IntelliJ IDEA automatically upload checked in files to the chosen server, select the Always use selected server check box.
To suppress automatic upload
To download files
- Choose Tools | Deployment | Download from <default server configuration> on the main menu.