IntelliJ IDEA displays the Welcome screen when no project is open. Select one of the quick start options (in the central part of the screen underneath the logo) or choose a task of interest.
Quick start options
The following quick start options are available:
- Create New Project. Start creating a project from scratch. For more information, see Creating a Project from Scratch.
- Import Project. Start creating a project by importing the sources available on your computer. This may be the sources that originate from Eclipse, Flash Builder, Gradle, or Maven, or a collection of sources of other origin. For more information, see Creating a Project by Importing Existing Sources.
- Open. Open an existing project or a file in the editor. For more information, see Opening, Reopening and Closing Projects.
- Check out from Version Control. Start creating a project by checking out the sources from a version control system. For more information, see Getting Local Working Copy of the Repository.
Register your copy of IntelliJ IDEA by activating your license. For more information, see Licensing.
The Configure menu provides access to various configuration tasks.
- Settings. Open the Settings dialog to configure IntelliJ IDEA and default project settings.
- Plugins. Open the Plugins dialog to manage IntelliJ IDEA plugins. For more information, see Managing Plugins.
Import IntelliJ IDEA settings from the
settings.jarfile (if you have this file available). For more information, see Exporting and Importing Settings.
Save the current IntelliJ IDEA settings in a file (
settings.jar). For more information, see Exporting and Importing Settings.
- Check for Update. Check if your version of IntelliJ IDEA is up to date.
- Project Defaults | Settings. Open the Settings dialog to configure default project settings.
- Project Defaults | Project Structure. Open the Project Structure dialog to define libraries, SDKs, and to configure default project settings.
- Project Defaults | Run Configurations. Open the Run/Debug Configurations dialog to configure default settings for run/debug configurations.
The Get Help menu provides access to sources of information about IntelliJ IDEA.
- Read Help. Open the IntelliJ IDEA Help.
- Tips of the Day. Show IntelliJ IDEA usage tips.
- Default Keymap Reference. Show a list of IntelliJ IDEA keyboard shortcuts (a .pdf document).
- JetBrains TV. Watch IntelliJ IDEA video tutorials and screencasts.
- Plugin Development. Learn about IntelliJ IDEA plugins and plugin development.
If appropriate, the left-hand pane shows a list of projects you've been recently working with. Click a project to reopen it.
To find a project of interest, start typing its name.