- Open the desired file for editing.
- Place the caret at the symbol to be analyzed (expression\variable\method parameter).
- On the main menu, or on the context menu, choose or depending on your purposes.
- Specify the analysis scope and select, whether you want to ignore all values coming from the test code.
- Click OK. Review the analysis results in the dedicated Analyze Dataflow tool window.
Dataflow analysis results
The following sections briefly describe how to "read" the dataflow analysis results.
Dataflow to Here
The image below shows an example of the dataflow to here analysis results.
- The values in this view flow in the following direction: the value for the field String authType in SingleSignonMessage comes from this.authType = authType assignment statement in SingleSignOnMessage.setAuthType() method called from ClusterSingleSignOn.register() method with authType parameter and so on.
- Expand the tree to dig in the chain of assignments and method calls that lead to the symbol in question.
- Nodes with gray background denote duplicates (the usages that are already present in the tree in another location).
To find out what are the possible values a symbol can have, click Group By Leaf Expression button on the main tool bar of the Dataflow tool window.
Dataflow from Here
The hierarchical view is similar to the results of dataflow to here analysis, but the values flow in the opposite direction.