Sometimes you may need to leave files of certain types unversioned. These can be VCS administration files, artifacts of utilities, backup copies, etc. You can create a global ignore list that will be stored in the workspace file and applied to all supported version control systems.
Files to ignore can be appointed explicitly by their names of through name patterns with wildcards. To have a directory ignored, you need to specify the full path to it relative to the project root..
Use the Ignored Files settings page to point at files for a version control system to exclude from processing.
If the version control system that you are using has its own ignore facilities, use the corresponding native command provided by the version control integration.
Open the Ignored Files settings page by doing one of the following:
- Under the Version Control node of the Settings dialog box, click Ignored Files.
- In the Local tab of the Changes tool window, click the Configure Ignored Files toolbar button .
- Click (Alt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+Insert or Ctrl+NAlt+InsertCommand N or Control EnterControl N or Control EnterCommand N or Control Enter) to create a new entry, or select an existing entry and click (EnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnter). The Ignore Unversioned Files dialog box opens.
Explicitly specify the files/directories to be ignored or define file name patterns. Do one of the following:
- Choose the Ignore specified file option and specify the file name relative to the project root, for example, my_folder/my_subfolder1/my_subfolder2/my_file. Type the name manually or click the Browse button and select the desired file in the Select File to Ignore dialog box.
Choose the Ignore all files under option and specify the directory whose contents should be ignored.
Type the directory name relative to the project root, for example, my_folder/my_subfolder1/,
or click Browse button
and select the desired folder in the Select Directory to Ignore dialog box.
The rule is applied recursively to all the subdirectories of the specified directory. If a directory has several subdirectories and you want only one of them ignored, specify the required directory explicitly, for example, my_folder/my_subfolder1/my_subfolder2/.
- Select the Ignore all files matching option and type the pattern that defines the names of files to be ignored. The rule is applied to all the directories under the project root. Using wildcards in combination with slashes (/) to restrict the scope to a certain directory is not supported.
- Create as many entries as you need and close the dialog box.
You can also add files to ignore list on-the-fly. A new file under the Unversioned Files change list, has command on its context menu.