Running an Android application on an emulator does not require a digital signature, so you can use unsigned packages for this purpose. An unsigned package can be extracted only through an Android artifact definition with the Debug or Release unsigned package mode specified.
- Open the Project Structure settings.
- Click Artifacts to open the Artifacts page.
Click the New button and
choose the artifact type Android Application in the New drop-down list.
Then specify the original contents of the artifact definition using the context menu:
- To have an empty layout definition created. choose Empty.
- To have the data of a module included in the artifact by default, choose From module <module name>.
The basic settings of the new artifact are displayed in the Artifact Layout pane that opens.
- Specify the general settings of the artifact. In the Output directory text box, specify the location of the package .apk file to be created.
- Complete the artifact definition by following these general steps:
- In the Android tab, choose Release unsigned.
- To have IntelliJ IDEA obfuscate the application during packaging, select the Run ProGuard check box and specify the location of the proguard.txt configuration file. The file is generated during project creation and is stored in the project root. IntelliJ IDEA suggests this default location in the Config file path text box. Accept the suggestion or specify a custom configuration file by clicking the Browse button and selecting the required file in the dialog that opens.