You may need to have your application built in several versions which means that several Android application packages (.apk files) will be generated. If these files have this single name, the user will be unable to deploy them on the same device simultaneously. To overcome this obstacle, you can have IntelliJ IDEA generate several .apk files with different names (application IDs) from the same source code.
The name of the application package to be generated (application ID) is specified in the package attribute of the manifest element (see http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/manifest-element.html#package). This name follows the Java naming style and by default is the same as the package to which the class implemented for the application belongs.
The name of the application (the android:name attribute of the application element, see http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/application-element.html#nm), and the names of activities (the android:name attribute of the activity element, see http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/activity-element.html#nm) are by default specified relative to the application ID and, accordingly, to the parent Java package of the application implementation class. However, renaming the application ID does not cause renaming the parent Java package of the application class.
You can either change the application ID through the Rename refactoring or automatically during build.
On this page:
- Open the AndroidManifest.xml file.
- Position the cursor at the package attribute of the manifest element and choose Refactor | Rename on the context menu.
- In the Rename dialog box that opens, specify the new package name and click OK.
The value of the package attribute changes to the newly specified. However, because this does not cause renaming the parent Java package of the application class, the relative names of the application and activities are replaced with their fully qualified names.
- Open the Project Structure dialog box by choosing . See Accessing Project Structure and Accessing Module Settings for more information.
- In the left-hand pane, choose Modules, then in the central pane click the Android facet under the relevant module.
- In the right-hand pane, switch to the Compiler tab, select the Rename manifest package check box, and specify the new application ID.