What's New in IntelliJ IDEA 11? And 11.1…
Every new release of IntelliJ IDEA brings changes to every part of the IDE, including the UI, the editor, tools and frameworks integration, and more. Here are some of the most important items added or improved in IntelliJ IDEA 11 and 11.1.
Changes for all developers using
New and updated technologies supported
in the this IDE update
Most exciting new features and tools
for web developers
Performance improvement is a neverending task. IntelliJ IDEA's new editor architecture provides better responsiveness and lag-less typing even in huge files.
Faster indexing is ensured for large codebases, as well as faster IDE startup on all supported platforms.
New in-place UI for refactorings such as Introduce Parameter/Field/Constant or Rename for class members is further improved for better usability.
Event Log view
New 'Event Log' view/tool-window is a single place, so you can see all IDE notifications and take action where needed.
- Groovy 2.0 (Beta) support.
- Introduce Closure Parameter refactoring.
- Unwrap statement action.
- New Groovy intention actions:
- Replace qualified reference with import.
- Add single-member static import.
- Add on-demand static import.
- Unused symbol highlighting.
- Groovy Shell is available from the IDE.
JAR-files Diff is added to show real classes/files comparison.
Folder Diff now also allows merging folders.
VCS Support Improvements
General changes to the workflow such as the new 'Digest' view help you spend less time on routine VCS tasks like pre-commit review.
Stack trace highlighting shows recently changed classes and methods differently in stack traces.Subversion (SVN) 1.7 Support
Enjoy the new features and performance of the latest Subversion with the best GUI client available.Git log graph
Highlights commits included in a given commit (e.g. commits in a current branch) and provides actions like create tag/branch and checkout revision.
Working with branches is now simpler and more powerful than ever, with a new look and feel.
Now you can control branches simultaneously for multi-root projects.GitHub
The bundled GitHub integration got even better and now supports Gists creation for sharing your code instantly from the IDE.Perforce Ultimate
Move and rename operations provide a friendlier way track the history of changes in external Perforce clients.
Faster refreshing of the Changes view.
Many parts of IntelliJ IDEA UI have been rethought and reworked to give you a more intuitive and modern working environment.
Some examples are: Favorites, Live templates settings, Keymap Editing UI, Plugin Manager.
Project and Debugger tool windows UI has been updated for better usability.
Better Coding Experience
Even faster, smarter and more reliable code completion for supported languages.
Working with 'Favorites' is now much easier especially in big projects.
Live template settings: many new template contexts added.
Added the ability to edit project module dependencies on a diagram.Emacs keymap
New Emacs editor features added: kill rings, sticky selection, adjust line, and others.
- GTK+ UI theme improvements.
- Better integration with docks.
- Action to create entry in system apps menu.
- Ability to drag and drop and copy/paste files between IntelliJ IDEA and file managers.
Mac OS X
- Full-screen support on Mac OS X Lion.
- Numerous Mac-specific UI changes.
- Correct window minimization to Dock.
Frameworks and Tools Support
Set up your project including modules, libraries, etc. on the basis of a Gradle project file.
Even better integration in IntelliJ IDEA 11.1 allows you to synchronize project and Gradle settings easier than ever.
Grails 2.0 Ultimate
IntelliJ IDEA provides support for Controller actions as Methods, new JUnit Testing API, access to Gorm API from java classes, Detached Criteria, Grails web-flow, Spock framework, etc.
Velocity 1.7 Ultimate
The latest version of Apache Velocity, the Java-based template engine, is fully supported by IntelliJ IDEA 11.
Hibernate 4 Ultimate
IntelliJ IDEA supports Hibernate persistence framework up to the latest version 4.1 now.
Further enhancements in AspectJ support features:
- Interface Type Declarations on interfaces too.
- Configurable aspect compiler path for better performance.
- Push-in refactoring, and more.
Play Framework Ultimate
IntelliJ IDEA now supports web development based on the Play Java Web framework. The IDE provides syntax highlighting, formatting, navigation, expressions resolve, completion for built-in tags and parameters, and a Structure view.
Play! + JPA integration. The IDE automatically recognizes classes annotated with JPA annotations and enables JPA support.
- Improved performance for large models, bean dependency diagram (with new features), "Generate @Autowired dependency" action, etc.
- Spring 3.1
@ComponentScan, @ImportResource, @Profile, @PropertySource.
- Spring Testing: @ContextConfiguration configured with @Configuration array, @ActiveProfile.
- Spring Integration support.
- Spring Data (JPA) support.
- Miscellaneous improvements: 'cache' schema support, Spring-JPA-Hibernate support, etc.
- Context-aware keyword completion
- H2 and MS SQL Server dialects supported
- Sybase and DB2 dialects supported
- PL-extensions for all supported dialects
- User-defined functions added to the
'Data Sources' view.
IntelliJ IDEA supports development for Google Android including the latest Android 4 SDK (Ice Cream Sandwich).
Android UI layouts preview simplifies UI development with IntelliJ IDEA. A special 'Preview' pane displays the UI including even custom view components and updates live as you code. Various options such as screen size, target platform version, theme, etc. allow more control of what is displayed.
Android Lint integration is available now. New inspections help finding many kind of potential problems in Android project.
DDMS, Draw 9-patch and Hierarchy Viewer tools are now available from the IDE.
The Scala plugin for IntelliJ IDEA includes many important improvements:
- Better ScalaTest support (including running single test, re-running a failed test)
- "Show implicit parameters" action
- Evaluate expression for Scala
- Fast Scala Compiler support (FSC)
- Scala Language Console
- Auto-insert imports on paste
- Generate anonymous function
- Global members class name completion
- Scaladoc 2 support
- Embedded XML support
Web / J2EE Development
If you like to stay on a the cutting edge, don't miss the new CoffeeScript editor with syntax highlighting, code assistance and formatting options.
One more new language for web developers is LESS. Enjoy the dynamic stylesheets.
Other updates include:
- Updated HTML5 schema.
- Zen Coding 0.7 support.
Flash / Flex Development
IntelliJ IDEA introduces a new project setup to make developing for different platforms easier and clearer.
Testing and Debugging
A powerful interactive XSLT debugger is included with IntelliJ IDEA 11 for debugging of XSLT stylesheets.
Out-of-the-box support for the following web servers ensured:
- JBoss 7.
- WebSphere 8.
IntelliJ IDEA 11 supports the latest version of Jersey, a reference implementation of JAX-RS 1.1, and automatically downloads it when you create a RESTfull web service.
EcmaScript 6 (Harmony)
Want to be the first to receive IntelliJ IDEA news?