When you type a tag with an unbound namespace, import assistant suggests to create a namespace and offers a list of appropriate choices.
When you reference a PHP class that is defined outside the current file, PhpStorm locates the class definition, whereupon you can do one of the following:
- Have PhpStorm automatically complete the fully qualified class name, including the namespace the class is defined in. This will result in littering your code.
- Have PhpStorm automatically complete the short class name and import the namespace the class is defined in.
- Import the namespace manually using a quick fix.
In the PHP context, a namespace is imported by inserting a
In this topic:
To import a namespace, follow these general steps
- Open the desired file for editing, and start typing a tag. If a namespace is not bound, the following prompt appears:
- Press Alt+Enter. If there are multiple choices, select the desired namespace from the list. PhpStorm creates a namespace declaration.
To complete a short class name and import a PHP namespace on the fly
To enable on-the-fly namespace import, open the PhpStorm settings, and then click Auto Import under the
Editor node. In the Editor: Auto Import page that opens, configure automatic namespace import in the PHP section.
- To have PhpStorm automatically import PHP namespaces, add use statements, and complete short class names on the fly when you are typing in a class or file that belongs to a certain namespace, select the Enable auto-import in namespace scope check box. This check box is selected by default.
- To have automatic namespace import applied when you are typing in a file that does not belong to any specific namespace, select the Enable auto-import in file scope check box.
- Open the desired file for editing and start typing the short name of a class.
From the suggested variants for completion, select the relevant class name:
PhpStorm completes the short class name and inserts a
usestatement with the namespace where the selected class is defined:
To import a PHP namespace using a quick fix
- Open the desired file for editing and reference a PHP class. If the referenced class is not bound, the following prompt appears:
- Press Alt+Enter. PhpStorm suggests to import the namespace where it has detected the declaration of the class:
Press Enter. PhpStorm inserts a namespace declaration statement (