The Extract Field refactoring declares a new field and initializes it with the selected expression. The original expression is replaced with the usage of the field.
To extract a field using the dialog box
If the Enable in place refactorings check box is cleared on the Editor settings, the Extract Field refactoring is performed by means of the Extract Field Dialog.
- In the editor, select the expression or variable to be replaced with a field, or just place the cursor within such an expression or variable declaration.
- In the main menu, or the context menu of the selection, choose , or press Ctrl+Alt+F.
- In the Expressions pop-up menu, select the expression to be replaced. Note that PhpStorm highlights the selected expression in the editor.
- In the Extract Field Dialog that opens, specify the type and name of the new field.
- To automatically replace all occurrences of the selected expression (if it is found more than once), select the option Replace all occurrences.
- Click OK to create the field.