Opening and Reopening Files in the Editor
In this section:
Opening a file for editing
Do one of the following:
- Double-click the desired file in one of the Tool Windows.
- Select the desired file in one of the Tool Windows and press F4.
- Select the desired file in the one of the Tool Windows and choose Jump to Source on the context menu.
- Use the Navigate command for a Class, File, or Symbol.
- Click the desired directory in the Navigation bar, and select file from the drop-down list:
If the file type is registered, the file opens silently in PhpStorm's editor.
If the file type is registered under the category Files opened in associated applications, it will be opened in its associated application, rather than in the PhpStorm editor. By default, PhpStorm suggests a number of such file types, for example
If the file type is unknown, PhpStorm suggests you to choose whether you want to register a new file type, or open such file in its associated application. Specify your choice in the Register New File Type Association dialog box:
You can register the required file types on the File Types page of the Settings dialog.
Opening an external file
Opening a directory
On the main menu, choose File | Open Directory , and select the desired directory in the dialog that opens.
After that, you can open any file from the directory either in the editor in the associated application. If the file type is unknown, you can also register it in the Register New File Type Association dialog box.
- To open a recently opened file, choose View | Recent Files on the main menu or press Ctrl+E. Then select the desired file from the Recent Files pop-up window, that opens.
- To open a recently updated file, on the main menu, choose View | Recently Changed Files or press Ctrl+Shift+E. Then select the desired file from the Recently Edited Files pop-up window, that opens.
Opening files in separate PhpStorm window
- Drag and drop an editor tab outside of the current PhpStorm window.
- Press Shift+F4 for a file selected in the Project tool window.
- Shift+mouse double click on a file name in the Project tool window.