Uploading and Downloading Files
There are the following main ways to synchronize project files with their copies on the local or remote server:
- Manually, through a menu command.
Automatically, every time a file is updated.
In this case, the default server configuration is used.
You can additionally configure this upload method to have only manually saved files uploaded.
- Automatically, before launching the application or starting a debugging session. This method is available for PHP applications only,
- Automatically after the changes to the files are checked in to your version control repository.
In this section:
- Uploading files and folders manually
- Uploading application sources automatically before application start
- Uploading changed files automatically
- Uploading checked in files immediately after commit
- Suppressing automatic upload
- Downloading files
To upload files or folders manually
- Choose on the main menu.
Do one of the following:
- To run the upload according to the default configuration, choose Upload to <default server configuration>.
- To run the upload according to a specific configuration, choose Upload to. Then from the pop-up menu, select the server configuration that defines access to the required server.
To have application sources uploaded automatically before application start
When working on a PHP application, you can have its sources automatically uploaded to a server every time you run the application or initiate a debugging session from PhpStorm.
- During creation of a run/debug configuration, click the Add button and choose the Upload Files to Remote Host task from the list.
In the Upload to Remote Host dialog box that opens, specify the following:
- The server configuration to access the required server.
- The local root folders to upload. All the folders and files under the specified roots will be uploaded.
To have PhpStorm upload changed files automatically
PhpStorm considers a local file changed as soon as it is saved either automatically or manually. PhpStorm performs automatic save on a regular scheduled basis. Manual save is invoked by choosing on the main menu or pressing Ctrl+S.
- Open the Options dialog box by doing one of the following:
In the Upload changed files automatically to the default server drop-down list, specify when you want PhpStorm to upload changed files:
- To have PhpStorm upload any saved file no matter whether the save was invoked manually or automatically, choose Always.
- To have PhpStorm upload only files that were saved manually, choose On explicit save action.
To have PhpStorm upload newly checked in files immediately after commit
- Start checking in your changes.
- In the After Commit area, choose the target server from the Upload file to drop-down list. Choose one of the existing server access configurations or create a new one: click the Browse button and configure access to the relevant server in the Deployment dialog box that opens.
- To have PhpStorm automatically upload checked in files to the chosen server, select the Always use selected server check box.
To suppress automatic upload
To download files
- Choose on the main menu.
This functionality is available only if you have previously appointed a configuration as default.