This topic gives general guidelines in configuring environment for developing and testing PHP applications locally. These instructions by no means apply to configuring production environment, which is outside the scope of this Help.
PHP development requires the following software installed and configured:
A Web server and a PHP engine are mandatory.
The PHP 5.4 interpreter contains a built-in Web server. The server is by no means intended for production but for development and testing purposes only.
- A database server, if your application will use a database.
- A debugging tool, if you are going to debug your application.
- A command line tool, if you are going to run PHP commands from the command line.
- Download, install, and configure the Web server, the PHP engine, and the MySQL server. Do one of the following:
- Optionally, perform these steps: