On this page:
While using the Expression Evaluation feature, be aware of the following:
- A method can be invoked within the Expression Evaluation dialog only if the debugger has stopped at a breakpoint, but has not been paused.
- Expression Evaluation can be only "single-level". In other words, if PhpStorm stops at a breakpoint within a method called from the Expression Evaluation, you cannot use the Expression Evaluation feature again.
- Open the Evaluate Expression dialog box. Do one of the following:
- Choose on the main menu.
- Press Alt+F8Shift+Alt+8Shift+Alt+8Alt+F8Alt+F8Alt+F8Ctrl+F9Ctrl+UAlt F8Alt F8Command U.
- To have a specific variable evaluated, select it on the Variables pane, then choose or press Alt+F8Shift+Alt+8Shift+Alt+8Alt+F8Alt+F8Alt+F8Ctrl+F9Ctrl+UAlt F8Alt F8Command U.
In the Evaluate Expression dialog box, specify the expression to evaluate in the Expression field.
Type the expression in question or choose one of the previously evaluated expressions from the drop-down list.
If you have selected a specific variable on the Variables pane, this variable will be displayed in the Expression text box.
- Click the Evaluate button. The Result read-only field shows the evaluation output. If the specified expression cannot be evaluated, the Result field explains the reason.
During the debugger session, the value of any expression at caret is shown at the tooltip every time you hover your mouse pointer over it. If an expression contains children, clicking expands the node and displays all children.
However, Quick evaluate expression helps you view the expression value using the keyboard only.
- Place the caret at the desired location, or select an expression to be evaluated.
Ctrl+Alt+F8 or Alt+Button1 ClickCtrl+Alt+8 or Shift+Alt+Button1 ClickCtrl+Alt+8 or Shift+Alt+Button1 ClickCtrl+Alt+8 or Shift+Alt+Button1 ClickCtrl+Alt+F8 or Alt+Button1 ClickShift+F9Ctrl+Alt+F8 or Alt+Button1 ClickCtrl+Alt+F8 or Alt+Button1 ClickAlt Command F8 or Alt Button1 ClickAlt Command F8 or Alt Button1 ClickAlt Command F8 or Alt Button1 Click. The tooltip with the expression value appears under
the selected expression.