You can profile .NET applications not only on the local computer, but on a remote computer as well. Moreover, in order to profile remotely, you don't have to install dotTrace on a remote computer. And since dotTrace 5.0 http-based web service is used for remote profiling. This helps avoid authentication problems and problems with firewalls.
By the default, all applications are profiled on your local computer. In order to enable remote profiling, you should configure a remote host.
On the remote computer, do the following:
- Copy Remote Agent from the 'JetBrains\dotTrace\v5.0\Bin\Remote' directory on your local computer to any directory on the remote computer.
- Start Remote Agent from the console on the remote computer.
On the local computer, start dotTrace as a standalone application.
Do one of the following:
- On the menu bar, choose File | Profile. The Profile dialog box opens. Choose an application type, then click OK or just double-click it.
- Click Profile on the Home tab. Click an application type from the list.
- Click Profile on remote computer in the Profiler Configuration dialog box. The Add Host dialog box opens.
- Type the address of the remote agent service in the Url text box.
Click Add to close the current dialog box and establish a connection with the remote host.
NoteThe next time you open the Profiler Configuration dialog box all previously configured remote agent connections are displayed in the Host drop-down list. So you can choose the appropriate one and click it.
- Configure other profiling settings in the Profiler Configuration dialog box and click Run.