Before you start profiling an application on a smart device, make sure that:
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5 or higher is installed.
- Microsoft ActiveSync is installed.
- Power Toys for .NET Compact Framework is installed.
- Start dotTrace as a standalone application.
Do one of the following:
- On the menu bar, choose File | Profile. The Profile dialog box opens. Select Smart Device Application, then click OK or just double-click Smart Device Application.
- Click Profile on the Home tab. Click Smart Device Application in the list.
- Click Select device for profiling to open the Add Host dialog box. Select a device from the Devices drop-down list. Click Add to close the dialog box and establish a connection with the chosen device.
- Type the path to the application executable file in the Application text box, or click the ellipsis button to open the Choose Application Executable dialog box and browse to an executable file.
- Optionally, type arguments in the Arguments text box, or click the ellipsis button to open the Choose File To Append To Arguments Line dialog box and browse to a file on your computer.
- Optionally, click the arrow to display and configure additional options, such as Working Directory and Profile child processes.
- Select a profiling mode in the Profiling type drop-down list. For more information, see Choosing the Right Profiling Mode.
- Specify what kind of timer you want to use by selecting an item in the Measure drop-down list. For more information, see Choosing the Right Time Measurement Method.
- If the Start profiling immediately check box is selected, dotTrace Performance starts gathering performance data immediately after you click Run and close the current dialog. Otherwise, dotTrace Performance waits until you press Start Profiling in the dotTrace Performance Controller window. For more information, see Launching and Controlling the Profiling Process.
- Optionally, click the arrow to display and configure additional settings, such as High accuracy, Enable inlining, Merge threads with equal names etc.
- Click Run.
NoteNote that only two profiling types are available in this scenario: tracing and sampling. Depending on the chosen profiling type, specific time measurement methods may or may not be available.