- Start dotTrace as standalone application.
Do one of the following:
- On the menu bar, choose File | Profile. The Profile dialog box opens. Select WebDev Application, then click OK or just double-click WebDev Application.
- Click Profile on the Home tab. Click WebDev Application in the list.
By default, your application is profiled on the local computer.
If you want to start profiling on a remote computer, do one of the following:
- Click Profile on remote computer to specify a remote agent url and thereby define what remote agent to use.
- Select a remote host in the Host drop-down list and click it.
Click the appropriate Development Server in the Server drop-down
NoteDepending on Development Server you choose the appropriate runtime is used.
- Type the path to your application in the Physical path text box or click the ellipsis button to open the Browse For Folder dialog box and browse to a folder.
- Optionally, you can select the Run browser check box. Type the URL in the Url text box and click the name of a browser that should be started or restarted in the Browser drop-down list.
- Optionally, click the arrow to see and configure additional settings, such as Virtual Path and Port. By default, port is detected automatically. To specify it explicitly, clear the Auto detect port check box.
- Select a profiling mode in the Profiling type drop-down list. For more information, see Choosing the Right Profiling Mode.
- Specify what kind of timer you want to use by selecting an item in the Measure drop-down list. For more information, see Choosing the Right Time Measurement Method.
- If the Start profiling immediately check box is selected, dotTrace Performance starts gathering performance data immediately after you click Run and close the current dialog. Otherwise, dotTrace Performance waits until you press Start Profiling in the dotTrace Performance Controller window. For more information, see Launching and Controlling the Profiling Process.
Optionally, click the arrow to see and configure additional settings, such as
High accuracy, Enable inlining,
Merge threads with equal names etc.
- Select the High accuracy check box to take into account time spent in profiler itself by taking more time samples.
- Clear the Enable inlining check box to disable JIT-inlining in order to get call stacks that closely resemble the structure of application's source code.
- Select the Merge threads with equals names check-box and as a result get the performance information for all threads with the same name under a single thread node in Call Tree and Threads Tree views.
- Click Edit Filters to define in advance what functions should be filtered out and what should be profiled line by line.
- Click Edit Symbol Search Policy to specify locations where the profiler looks for debugging information. For more information, see Edit Symbol Search Policy.
- Select the Use profiler API check box to allow you to control profiling directly from the code of the profiled application. For more information, see Advanced Profiling Using dotTrace API.
- Click Run.