Creating and Editing Run/Debug Configurations
On this page:
The available run/debug configurations are displayed in the drop-down list in the Run area of the main toolbar:
PyCharm provides the Run/Debug Configuration dialog box as a tool for handling run/debug configurations: create configuration profiles or change the default ones.
PyCharm suggests the following ways to create a run/debug configuration:
- Create a run configuration manually on the base of the default one, using the Run/Debug Configuration dialog box.
- Save a temporary run configuration.
Creating a run/debug configuration
To create a run/debug configuration, follow these steps:
- In the
Run/Debug Configuration dialog box, click
on the toolbar or press
The drop-down list shows the default run/debug configurations. Select the desired configuration type.
The fields that appear in the right pane, display the default settings for the selected configuration type.
Note: If you want to change the default run/debug configuration settings, expand the Defaults node, select the desired configuration type, and modify it as required.
For the new run/debug configuration:
- Specify its name in the Name text box. This name will be shown in the list of the available run/debug configurations.
Specify whether you want to make PyCharm check execution status of the instances of the same run/debug configuration.
If you want to make sure that only one instance of the run/debug configuration is currently executed,
select the check box Single instance only. In this case, a confirmation dialog box will show up
every time you try to launch run/debug configuration, when one instance of the same type is still running.
If you click OK in the confirmation dialog box, the first instance of the runner will be stopped, and the next one will take its place.
If this check box is not selected, you can launch as many instances of the runner as required. As the result, each runner will start in its own tab of the Run tool window.
- In the Before launch section, define whether you want to execute some tools or scripts prior to launching the run/debug configuration.
- Specify additional parameters depending on the configuration type. Refer to the descriptions of run/debug configuration parameters below the Run/Debug Configurations section.
- Apply the changes and close the dialog box.