Cutting, Copying and Pasting
PyCharm provides a number of handy Clipboard operations. You can copy, cut, and paste selected text, a path to a file, or a reference to a symbol or a line of code.
Because PyCharm uses the system Clipboard, you can copy and paste between applications.
So doing, when pasting Clipboard entries, PyCharm removes any formatting from the text
and any special symbols from the
The Paste command smartly understands what is being inserted. If you paste a reference to a symbol, it is analyzed for possible imports, references, etc. So doing, PyCharm provides the necessary brackets and places the caret at the appropriate insertion point. The Paste Simple command helps paste any Clipboard entry as a plain text, without any analysis.
PyCharm enables Clipboard stacking, which means that you can store multiple Clipboard entries and access them with a single shortcut. The number of entries that can be kept in the Clipboard stack is customizable on the Editor page of the IDE Settings.
To copy selected text, do one of the following
- On the main menu, choose Edit | Copy .
- Press Ctrl+C.
- Click the Copy button on the toolbar.
To copy path to a file, do one of the following
- Open the desired file in the editor, then choose Edit | Copy Path on the main menu or press Ctrl+Shift+C.
- Select the desired file in the Project tool window and choose Copy Path on the context menu of the selection.
To copy reference to a line or symbol
- Open the desired file in the editor.
- Place the caret at a certain line of code.
- Do one of the following:
- On the main menu, choose Edit | Copy Reference
- On the context menu of the line at caret, choose Copy Reference
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C.
Solver.Solver#discrfor a Python method
Solver\Solver.py:14for a Python file
To cut the selected text
- Select the desired fragment in the editor.
Do one of the following:
- On the main menu, choose Edit | Cut .
- Press Ctrl+X.
- Click the Cut button on the toolbar.
To paste the last entry from the clipboard
- Place the caret in the location where you want to paste content.
Do one of the following:
- On the main menu, choose Edit | Paste .
- Press Ctrl+V.
- Click the Paste button on the toolbar.
If you perform paste in a Python file, the further behavior depends on the settings in the Auto Import page of the Editor options. If the Ask option has been selected, select the necessary imports from the list of missing imports. In all other cases, the last clipboard entry is pasted silently.
To paste the last entry from the clipboard as plain text, do one of the following
- On the main menu, choose Edit | Paste Simple .
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V.
To paste a specific entry from the clipboard
- On the main menu, choose Edit | Paste from History or press Ctrl+Shift+V.
- In the Choose Content to Paste dialog box select the desired entry from the list of recent Clipboard entries, and click OK.