On this page:
Move Refactorings: Basics
The Move refactorings allow you to move classes, functions, files and directories within a project. So doing, PyCharm automatically corrects all references to the moved symbols in the source code.
The following Move refactorings are available:
- The Move File refactoring moves a file to another directory.
- The Move Directory refactoring moves a directory to another directory.
- The Move Class/Function refactoring moves a Python class or function to another Python file.
- The Move Static Member refactoring moves a static method, variable, or constant from one class to another,
To perform a move refactoring, follow these general steps:
- Select the symbol to be moved and do one of the following:
- On the Refactor menu, or on the context menu, choose Move .
- Press F6.
- In the Project tool window, drag the symbol to the new destination.
The dialog that opens depends on the type of the selected symbol.
- Specify the move options according to the type of the item to be moved. See option descriptions in the Move dialog box reference.
- Preview and apply the changes.