Running SSH Terminal
You can launch an SSH Session right from PyCharm. By running commands in a dedicated SSH terminal, you can access, data on a remote Web server or the default remote interpreter via an SSH tunnel, mainly upload and download files.
On this page:
Preparing to work in the SSH terminal
- Make sure the SSH Remote Run plugin is enabled. The plugin is bundled with PyCharm and activated by default. If not, enable it on the Plugins page of the Settings dialog box as described in Enabling and Disabling Plugins.
- Make sure, an SSH server is available in the destination environment: a remote Web server or the default remote interpreter.
- Register an account on the SSH server in the destination environment and generate a pair od SSH keys or a password, depending on the server policy.
Appoint the destination environment and specify the settings to establish connection with it:
- Open the Settings dialog box by choosing File | Settings , then click SSH Terminal. The SSH Terminal page opens.
In the Connection settings area, appoint the destination environment:
- Current Vagrant: select this option to have the commands in the SSH Terminal executed on the currently running Vagrant virtual machine. For details, see Working with Reproducible Development Environments Using Vagrant.
Deployment server: select this option to have the commands in the SSH Terminal executed on the local or remote Web server accessible through
one of the server access configurations.
From the drop-down list, choose the server access configuration that specifies the destination environment and the settings to establish connection to it.
- Select server on every run: if this option is selected, you will have to choose the desired server access configuration from the pop-up window, every time you choose Tools | Start SSH Session on the main menu.
- If the desired server access configuration does not appear in the drop-down list, click the link Configure Servers, and define one in the Deployment page. For details, see Configuring Synchronization with a Web Server.
- From the Default encoding drop-down list, select the desired encoding to be used in the SSH terminal.
Launching an SSH terminal
- On the main menu, choose Tools | Start SSH Session .
- Depending on the connection settings, defined in the SSH Terminal page of the Settings
dialog, the following types of behavior are possible:
- If the Default remote interpreter option has been selected, the SSH terminal will provide access to the same host, where the default remote interpreter runs.
- If the option Deployment server has been selected, the SSH Terminal will provide control over the data on the local or remote Web server accessible through the server access configuration chosen from the list. For details, see Configuring Synchronization with a Web Server.
- If the option Select server on every launch has been selected, PyCharm will show a pop-up list to choose the desired server access configuration from.