There are two types of settings that define your preferred environment:
- Project Settings, that apply to a specific project.
- IDE Settings, that are common for all projects and refer to the project-independent aspects.
In this topic:
Project settings are stored with each specific project as a set of xml files under the .idea folder. If you specify the default project settings, these settings will be automatically used for each newly created project.
IDE settings are stored in the dedicated directories under the product home directory, depending on the platform. The product home directory name is composed of the product name and version.
- <User home>\.RubyMineXX\config that contains user-specific settings.
- <User home>\.RubyMineXX\system that stores RubyMine data caches.
<User home> in WindowsXP is C:\Documents and Settings\<User name>\; in Windows Vista it is C:\Users\<User name>\
- ~/.RubyMineXX/config that contains user-specific settings.
- ~/.RubyMineXX/system that stores RubyMine data caches.
- Mac OS
- ~/Library/Application Support/RubyMineXX contains the catalog with plugins.
- ~/Library/Preferences/RubyMineXX contains the rest of the configuration settings.
- ~/Library/Caches/RubyMineXX contains data caches, logs, local history, etc. These files can be quite significant in size.
- ~/Library/Logs/RubyMineXX contains logs
The config directory has several subfolders that contain xml files with your personal settings. You can easily share your preferred keymaps, color schemes, etc. by copying these files into the corresponding folders on another RubyMine installation. Prior to copying, make sure that RubyMine is not running, because it can erase the newly transferred files before shutting down.
The following is the list of some of the subfolders under the config folder, and the settings contained therein.
|Folder name||User Settings|
|codestyles||Contains code style schemes.|
|colors||Contains editor colors and fonts customization schemes.|
|filetypes||Contains user-defined file types.|
|inspection||Contains code inspection profiles.|
|keymaps||Contains RubyMine keyboard shortcuts customizations.|
|options||Contains various options, for example, feature usage statistics and macros.|
|templates||Contains user-defined live templates.|
|tools||Contains configuration files for the user-defined external tools.|
|shelf||Contains shelved changes.|
Locations of the Config, System, and Plugins directories can be modified in RubyMine_home\bin\idea.properties file.
You will need to adjust the following parameters:
- Configuring IDE Settings
- Configuring Project Settings
- Importing RubyMine Settings on First Launch
- Managing Projects Under Version Control