Executing Rails development tasks sometimes involves overheads, because every time the entire Rails environment should be reloaded. You can avoid it using the Spring server, which loads the environment only once.
- You are working with MacOS or Linux operating system.
- Prior to launching Spring server, make sure spring gem, and the corresponding testing gems (rspec-rails, cucumber, cucumber-rails, etc.) are used in your application.
is added to the Gemfile.
Since Rails version 4.1, spring is added to the Gemfile by default.
Changes to the UI
It is important to note that there is no dedicated run/debug configuration for the Spring server. Spring server is launched by default.
- RubyMine always uses Spring server, if it is available for Rails generators and Rake tasks.
- When debugging, the Spring server is turned off.
- Note that if you debug a test script, it will be executed without Spring server
- Use additional commands for running tests. However, spring-commands-spinach is not used.