JetBrains ReSharper 4.5 — Faster and Sharper Than Ever
Microsoft Visual Studio productivity tool helps upgrade performance and memory usage, continues to aid .NET developers in intelligent, dynamic coding
Prague, Czech Republic, April 08, 2009 — JetBrains, the creators of intelligent, productivity-enhancing development tools, announced today the release of ReSharper 4.5, the company's award-winning productivity tool for Microsoft Visual Studio.
Capitalizing on recent industry recognition — winning a Jolt Productivity Award in March 2009 — ReSharper tackles and attains a new level of efficiency. The latest version significantly improves performance and memory usage, in addition to enhancing solution-wide code analysis, expanding language and technology support, and providing new useful features.
"Keeping performance on the edge is a challenge for any productivity tool," said Valentin Kipiatkov, JetBrains CTO. "Lately we focused a great deal on sharpening ReSharper, so to speak, to bring our .NET customers a faster, more agile Visual Studio experience. As a result, this upgrade introduces the greatest performance boost in recent product history for ReSharper, and we're thrilled about that."
"Companies like JetBrains are an invaluable part of the Visual Studio ecosystem and deliver great value and functionality to developers" said Matt Carter, Group Product Manager for Visual Studio at Microsoft. "ReSharper has been a valuable part of many developers" toolset and continues to add value and innovation to developers in ReSharper 4.5."
The list of ReSharper 4.5 new features and improvements includes:
- Performance and Memory Usage Improvements: ReSharper loads and works faster and more smoothly in general, particularly on big solutions: now it takes 20 to 40 percent less time until the solution is ready for code editing. Web site loading time has been reduced by 30 percent. Other accelerated operations include: renaming symbols, finding commonly used symbols, creating symbols from usage, and analyzing large XAML files. Memory requirements for analysis of huge auto-generated code files have been reduced as well.
- Solution-Wide Code Inspections: To detect unused non-private members on the fly, we have improved our solution-wide analysis by introducing a set of specialized code inspections. They only work when you let ReSharper analyze your whole solution and help you discover unused non-private declarations; unused return values of non-private methods; unaccessed non-private fields; unused parameters in non-private members; and more.
- VB9 Support: Visual Basic .NET developers can now benefit from VB9 language support that includes implicitly typed local variables, object initializers, anonymous types, extension methods, lambda expressions, partial methods, and embedded XML. VB9 support is all around you, courtesy of new context actions, code completion, refactorings, and Parameter Info, among other supporting features.
- Extended Naming Style Configuration: You can now define custom naming style settings for different languages and symbols including types, namespaces, interfaces, parameters, method properties and events, static and instance fields etc. Use them to precisely align the way ReSharper completes and generates code with your specific coding guidelines.
- Go to Implementation: Jump from usage of a base type or member straight to any of its end implementations.
- New and Improved Refactorings: Added "Inline Field" and refactored many other refactorings for greater performance.
- Native MSTest Support: Finally provided natively in ReSharper on par with nUnit support.
- Wider Cross-Language Capabilities: More efficient quick-fixes and context actions in many cross-language scenarios, as well as increased coverage for XAML and ASP.NET.
Smoother Language and Framework Support: Improved compatibility with F#, Compact Framework, Silverlight 2 and other languages and tools.
Complete product information about JetBrains ReSharper is available at http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/.
ReSharper 4.5 is available for a 30-day free trial download at http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/download/. No evaluation license is required.
Owners of versions 4.0 or higher are eligible to upgrade for free.
ReSharper 4.5 is available under commercial and personal licensing. New customers can purchase ReSharper 4.5 online at http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/buy/.
* * *
JetBrains is a technology-leading software development firm specializing in the creation of intelligent, productivity-enhancing software. The company is widely known for its innovative, award-winning Java™ integrated development environment, IntelliJ® IDEA (see details on the Web at http://www.jetbrains.com/idea), ReSharper and dotTrace Profiler for .NET developers (see http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper, http://www.jetbrains.com/profiler), and TeamCity — a continuous integration and build management environment (http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity). JetBrains maintains its headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic, with its R&D labs located in St. Petersburg, Russia and Boston, Massachusetts. For more information, see http://www.jetbrains.com.
* * *
Note to Editors: JetBrains, IntelliJ, IntelliJ IDEA, ReSharper, dotTrace and TeamCity are trademarks or registered trademarks of JetBrains, s.r.o. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.