JetBrains Releases Upsource: Code Review Tool and Repository Browser That Knows Java Code
Famous among professional developers for ReSharper and IntelliJ IDEA, JetBrains kicks off a new on-premises tool for team collaboration that helps read, navigate and review code maintained in diverse version control systems.
Prague, Czech Republic, December 9, 2014 — JetBrains®, a renowned vendor of professional tools for software developers, today announced the general availability of Upsource 1.0, a new web-based team collaboration tool that helps developers read, browse and review code maintained in Git, Mercurial, Subversion and/or Perforce repositories.
Both a repository browser and a code review tool, Upsource 1.0 provides instant read access to code developed throughout an organization and helps improve code quality by enabling easy code review.
While all developers who use Git, Mercurial, Subversion or Perforce can benefit from using Upsource, Java teams can get an additional advantage. Thanks to sharing its platform with IntelliJ IDEA, a leading Java IDE, Upsource boasts in-depth knowledge of Java code and is able to execute server-side static code analysis on Java projects, as well as provide code-aware navigation and smart search for code usages. Among other benefits, this gives reviewers much-needed additional context when reviewing Java code changes, as they can see whether and how changed code is used throughout the project and whether a revision potentially introduces dangerous changes such as NullPointerExceptions.
"We started Upsource with the intention to make the IntelliJ IDEA core available out of the desktop and on the web. Now reading code using Upsource can be as comfortable as using an IDE, especially Java code, with all navigation and code analysis options available in the browser," said Oleg Stepanov, Co-CEO at JetBrains. "This is only a part of the story though. Adding code review was just the first step in bringing additional value for developer teams. We're not stopping here and looking to add code hosting to Upsource, as well as integration with our Continuous Integration and issue tracking tools, so that the JetBrains toolset meets most, if not all, needs of any team."
Here's what development teams can do with Upsource 1.0:
- Access code in Git, Mercurial, Subversion and Perforce repositories: Explore and monitor all VCS repositories from a central location, using a common friendly UI. Both internal company's repositories and externally hosted repositories such as those at GitHub can be handled by Upsource.
- Keep track of code changes: Track recent commits, branches and merges, explore any project as of a particular revision, or search the project history to learn who did what and when.
- Investigate code changes in detail: Navigate to specific revisions, inspect diffs inline or side-by-side. In Java projects, automatic code inspections are available right in the side-by-side diff view, similar to Java IDEs.
- Explore any revision of the code base: Enjoy quick read access to the current (or any prior) state of a project's source code, without having to check out locally. Search for files and text in any code revision and see how a project has evolved over time.
- Discuss and review code: Discuss code and changes with teammates, create code reviews on individual revisions or entire branches, or keep the team up to date with important changes in the code base.
- Share links to code: Use URLs to link to everything in code, including code reviews, diffs, discussions, reports, search filters, files, or even selections in code.
Upsource is priced per-seat, with a free plan for small teams (up to 10 developers) and a variety of larger plans starting at $1,300. All Upsource licenses are perpetual and include 1 year of free product upgrades. Similar to other JetBrains tools, Upsource is available free of charge to non-commercial Open Source projects and educational institutions.
To learn more and try JetBrains Upsource, please visit www.jetbrains.com/upsource.
For general information on pricing and licensing options, see www.jetbrains.com/upsource/buy. For any sales inquiries and volume pricing options, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (in the Americas) or email@example.com (outside of the Americas).
* * *
JetBrains is a technology-leading software development firm specializing in the creation of intelligent, productivity-enhancing software. The company is widely known for its innovative, award-winning Java™ integrated development environment, IntelliJ™ IDEA (see details on the Web at www.jetbrains.com/idea); TeamCity — a continuous integration and build management environment (www.jetbrains.com/teamcity); ReSharper — a rich Visual Studio extension vastly popular among .NET developers (www.jetbrains.com/resharper), and YouTrack — an intelligent issue tracking and project management system (www.jetbrains.com/youtrack), among others. JetBrains maintains its headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic, with its R&D labs located in Russia, Germany, and the United States. For more information see www.jetbrains.com.
Note to Editors: JetBrains, Upsource, IntelliJ, IntelliJ IDEA, ReSharper, TeamCity, and YouTrack are trademarks or registered trademarks of JetBrains, s.r.o. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.