Last updated: 14th March 2016
This Policy may be amended from time to time. The respective latest version of the policy at the point of time of the purchase/registration of a JetBrains Software Product (whichever occurs later) shall apply. The data controller is JetBrains s.r.o., Praha 4, Na hřebenech II 1718/10, PSČ 147 00, Česká republika
- Why We Collect Data
- What We Collect
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
- Location of Your Information
- Data retention, withdrawal of approval, access to data
- Changes to this Policy
- Reaching out
JetBrains Downloadable Software Product: Any JetBrains Software Product that can be downloaded and installed on a machine.
JetBrains Software as a Service: Any JetBrains Software Product that is offered as a hosted solution, where the software is installed and maintained by JetBrains and provided to you as a service.
JetBrains Website: Any website that is the property of JetBrains, including but not limited to everything hosted under the top-level domains jetbrains.com, jetbrains.net, jetbrains.org, jetbrains.ru, kotl.in, and kotlinlang.org.
JetBrains Account: An account created and stored on JetBrains Servers which contains your first name, last name and email. It is accessed via a username and password.
Why We Collect Data
We collect data for various reasons, such as:
- To provide you with software, services or information. We may collect data that identifies you as an individual or company, which is required to provide you with the software, support, and services that you have requested. To receive the software, support and services, you explicitly fill in the data, whether you purchase a JetBrains Downloadable Software Product, purchase JetBrains Software as a Service, use our support forums, sign up for a JetBrains Account, register for a webinar, participate in a survey, and/or subscribe to receive marketing and/or technical information and content. We may use third-party service providers to assist us in provisioning our services to you or in our operations. For example, we may use third party service providers to provide data storage and backup services.
- To check for license validation and updates. Some JetBrains Downloadable Software Products regularly check for software updates and/or license validation.
- To improve our offerings based on usage. We collect data based on your use of our products and services, and we do not associate this data with your name. We use this data to better understand usage patterns of our products and behavior of our collective audience. At times we may share this information in aggregated anonymous form with third parties. Collection of data based on your use of JetBrains Downloadable Software Products is done only if you permit it.
- To provide technical support. We may need to ask you for data to process your support request, especially if it requires accessing your account or other data that you already have provided to us. We may have to access and/or request a failure code, which may contain personal data of the user who reported the failure. You hereby expressly consent to the collection and storage of this data.
- As required by law. We may use and disclose your personal data where required by law, such as in response to a court order, valid subpoena, or other legal process.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another entity, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another entity, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, or other business transfer, we may transfer the information we have collected from or about you to the other entity.
- Third Party Service Providers. We use third party service providers as discussed in this section. We also use third party service providers in other circumstances; a complete list of the reasons in which we use third party service providers can be found here.
What We Collect
What we collect depends largely on the interaction that takes place between you and JetBrains, most of which can be categorized under the following:
Purchasing JetBrains Software Products
When you purchase a JetBrains Downloadable Software Product or sign up for JetBrains Software as a Service, we collect information to process your payment and create your customer account. This information includes name, email address, physical address, telephone number, and company name where applicable. We retain the last four digits of your credit card to allow you to identify the card used for future purchases. We use a third-party service provider to process your credit card transactions. These third parties are governed by their own agreements, which can be found on Jetbrains.com under the section Third-Party Services.
Using JetBrains Downloadable Software Products
When downloading and installing purchased software, you need to provide the software with identifiable information such as your JetBrains Account or Licensing information. On installation and execution, the software may send JetBrains certain information, including product version, product edition, and information about the operating system and/or environment where the product is installed, applicable to tools such as ReSharper™, which is a plugin to Visual Studio™. A unique, randomly-generated ID, which does not contain any license or other personally identifiable information, is also used to distinguish instances. The software can also check for available updates, as well as available updates for plugins or components. In addition it can check for license validation, either using the license key or your JetBrains Account details. Some software products can also use license information to inform you of the availability of applicable updates.
If you opt in to anonymous data collection through the software product (which is distinct from data collection on the website through cookies and other tracking technologies, as discussed below), the software may electronically send information to JetBrains related to your usage of the application’s features. This information may include, but is not limited to, frameworks, file templates being used in the IDEs, actions invoked, and other interactions with product features. This information will contain neither source code nor your name, nor information about your JetBrains Account or Licensing information.
Using JetBrains Software as a Service
When you use any JetBrains Software as a Service, we store all the content you provide, including but not limited to accounts created for team members, files, pictures, project information, and any other information that you provide to the services you use. These services can include YouTrack, TeamCity, Upsource, or any other software as a service that JetBrains provides or could potentially provide in the future.
For any JetBrains Software as a Service, we also collect data about usage of the software. This may include, but is not limited to, numbers of users and groups, types of projects, numbers of projects, frequency and usage of attachments, searches performed, actions invoked in the product and other interactions with product features.
In addition, weblogs that may be generated during your use of JetBrains Software as a Service may include information about IP addresses used to access the service, browser, operating environment, URL’s used to access the service, or other information. This information may be analyzed for security and auditing purposes.
Signing up for Webinars, Newsletters and/or Marketing Material
When you sign up for webinars, newsletters and/or other marketing materials, we collect information about you. This includes personal details such as name, email address, company name and possibly other information relevant to the offerings, such as technology interests.
User Generated Content
Our products and services often give you the option to provide feedback, such as suggestions, compliments or problems encountered. We invite you to provide such feedback as well as to participate with comments on our blogs and discussion forums. If you choose to post a comment, your user name, city, and any other information that you choose to post will be visible to the public. We are not responsible for the privacy of any information that you choose to post to our website, including in our blogs, or for the accuracy of any information contained in those postings. Any information that you disclose becomes public information. We cannot prevent such information from being used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law or your personal privacy.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
Your Consent/Withdrawing Consent
By continuing to use our Website, you are agreeing to the placement of cookies on your computer by us and our third party service providers. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
If you do not wish to accept cookies in connection with your use of this Website, you must stop using our Website and disable cookies via your browser settings for this Website or globally (see below). You also may opt out of targeted advertising at any time by visiting www.jetbrains.com/optout/. Please note that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of our Website, and may prevent you from being able to access certain features on our Website. For further information about deleting or blocking cookies, please visit: http://www.aboutcookies.org/how-to-delete-cookies/.
The Technologies we Use
- Persistent cookies: these cookies remain on a user’s device for the period of time specified in the cookie. They are activated each time that the user visits the website that created that particular cookie.
- Session cookies: these cookies allow website operators to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser window and finishes when they close the browser window. Session cookies are created temporarily. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Website to, among other things, track the activities of Website visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Website usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
First and third-party cookies
In relation to whether a cookie is 'first' or 'third' party refers to the domain placing the cookie.
Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than that of the website being visited by the user. If a user visits a website and another entity sets a cookie through that website, this would be a third-party cookie.
How to delete and block our cookies
Changing your cookie settings
Please note that internet browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'preferences' menu of your internet browser. In order to understand these settings, the following links may be helpful. Otherwise you should use the 'Help' option in your internet browser for more details.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari
What cookies do we use and why?
- Strictly necessary
'Strictly Necessary' cookies let you move around the Website and use essential features like secure areas. Without these cookies, we cannot provide the requested services. We use these Strictly Necessary cookies to:
- Identify you as being logged in to our Website and to authenticate you
- Make sure you connect to the right service on our Website when we make any changes to the way the Website works
- For security purposes
- Make sure you connect to the right service on our Website when we make any changes to the way the Website works
Accepting these cookies is a condition of using the Website, so if you prevent these cookies we can't guarantee how Website or the security on our Website will perform during your visit.
'Performance' cookies collect information about how you use our Website e.g. which pages you visit, and if you experience any errors. These cookies do not collect any information that could identify you and are only used to help us improve how our Website works, understand what interests our users and measure the effectiveness of our advertising. We use performance cookies to:
- Carry out web analytics: Provide statistics on how our Website is used
- Obtain data on the number of users of the Website that have viewed a product
- Help us improve the Website by measuring any errors that occur
- Test different designs for the Website
Some of our performance cookies are managed for us by third parties. We do not allow the third party to use the cookies for any purpose other than those listed above.
By using our Website, or expressing your consent as otherwise required by applicable law, you accept the use of 'Performance' cookies. If you prevent cookies, we cannot guarantee how our Website will perform for you.
'Functionality' cookies are used to provide services or to remember settings to improve your visit. We use 'Functionality' cookies for such purposes as:
- Remember settings you've applied such as layout, text size, language, preferences and colors
- Remember if we've already asked you if you want to fill in a survey
- Remember if you have engaged with a particular component or product list on the Website so that don’t show it again
- Show you when you're logged in to the Website
- To provide and show embedded video content
Some of these cookies are managed for us by third parties. We do not allow the third party to use the cookies for any purpose other than those listed above.
'Targeting' cookies are used to track your visit to our Website and other websites, including the pages you have visited and the links you have followed, which allows third parties to display targeted ads to you on the websites you visit.
We and our third party service providers use Targeting cookies to:
- Link to social networks, like Facebook, that may subsequently use information about your visit to our website in order to provide advertising or other offers that may be of interest to you when you visit other websites.
- Provide third parties with information on your visit so that they can present you with advertisements or other offers that may be of interest to you.
If you are in the EU, you may opt-out of certain third party cookies that we and other websites may use for targeting through http://www.youronlinechoices.eu or www.aboutads.info. Opting out of one or more ad networks only means that those particular members no longer will deliver targeted content or ads to you. It does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our websites or other third party websites. If your browser is configured to reject cookies when you visit one of the above referenced opt-out pages, and you later erase your cookies, use a different computer or change Web browsers, your preference may no longer be active. Since all of these cookies are managed by third parties, you should refer to the third parties' own website privacy notifications and policies for further information (see below for more information about the particular targeting cookies used on our Website).
Users in the United States may opt out of many third-party ad networks. For example, you may go to the Digital Advertising Alliance («DAA») Consumer Choice Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and their choices regarding having information used by DAA companies. You may also go to the Network Advertising Initiative («NAI») Consumer Opt-Out Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and their choices regarding having information used by NAI members.
Opting out from one or more companies listed on the DAA Consumer Choice Page or the NAI Consumer Opt-Out Page will opt you out from those companies’ delivery of interest-based content or ads to you, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any advertising through our Website or on other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing (i.e., contextually based ads). Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you opt out on the DAA or NAI websites, your opt out may not be effective. Additional information is available on the DAA’s website at www.aboutads.info or the NAI’s website at www.networkadvertising.org.
More Information About Cookies
All About Cookies
Useful information about cookies can be found at:
Internet Advertising Bureau
A guide to behavioural advertising and online privacy has been produced by the internet advertising industry which can be found at:
Do Not Track
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking by disabling cookies in your browser. However, by doing so we cannot guarantee the correct behaviour of the services we provide to you.
At times JetBrains’ Websites and/or JetBrains Software Products may contain links to other external non-JetBrains sites. JetBrains is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such linked Websites.
Our products and services are not designed for children under the age of 13. If we discover that a person under the age of 13 has submitted information directly to us, we will endeavor to delete the information from our systems.
Location of Your Information
Data retention, withdrawal of approval, access to data
If at any time you choose to cease using JetBrains Software Products, you may ask for your data to be removed from our servers by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may retain your information if it is required to comply with legal obligations and/or defense in case of violation of our Terms of Service and/or Privacy Policies. We may also have copies of your information in backups made for security purposes, but these backups will not be accessible as separately delineated information. Please note, however, that you must retain a copy of all data that you have placed on our servers in the case of any loss; further, if you cease using our software and/or services, we will not be responsible for retention of any of your data.
Your approval of the collection and storage of information during the process of technical support can be withdrawn at any time by writing to email@example.com.
As permitted by applicable law, EU residents may request a copy of the information that we hold about them. To do so, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. We may charge a fee in accordance with applicable law for this service.
Changes to this Policy