Install and set up CLion
JRE 1.8 is bundled with the CLion distribution. You do not need to install Java on your computer to run CLion.
In general to develop in C/C++ with CLion you need:
- CMake at least version 2.8.11 (if you do not want to use the bundled version), make
- GCC/G++ or Clang, which in case of Windows means using toolchains: MinGW 3.* or MinGW-w64 3.*-5.* or Cygwin 1.7.32 (minimum required) up to 2.8.*.
- If you are going to use Microsoft Visual C++ compiler instead of GCC/G++ or Clang, then Visual Studio 2013, 2015 or 2017 shall be installed. For more details, refer to our tutorial.
- GDB: at least 7.8 (if you do not want to use the bundled version)
Download and install CLion
To install CLion
- Download CLion for your operating system.
- Do the following depending on your operating system:
- Windows installation:
- macOS installation:
- Linux installation
- Unpack the
CLion-*.tar.gzfile you have downloaded to a different folder if your current Downloads folder doesn't support file execution:
tar xfz CLion-*.tar.gz <new_archive_folder>
The recommended install location according to the filesystem hierarchy standard (FHS) is
/opt. For example, it's possible to enter the following command:
sudo tar xf -*.tar.gz -C /opt/
- Switch to the
bindirectory, for example:
- Unpack the
Earlier CLion versions are available for download on the Previous CLion Releases page.
Run CLion for the first time
Import CLion settings
When you start CLion for the first time, or after you have upgraded it from a previous version, the Complete Installation dialog opens where you can select whether you want to import the IDE settings:
Select the user interface theme
Next, you will be prompted to select the UI theme. You can choose between the default theme and the Darcula scheme:
On this stage, specify your preferred environment, CMake and GDB executables.
If a certain component (compiler, GDB, etc.) is missing, CLion shows a corresponding error:
Disable the unnecessary plugins
CLion is shipped with a variety of plugins that provide integration with different version control systems and application servers, add support for various frameworks and development technologies, etc.
Download and install additional plugins
On the next step, you are prompted to download additional plugins that are not bundled with the IDE from the CLion plugins repository:
Start a project in CLion
- create a new project
- open an existing project
- or check out an existing project from a version control system (clone from a remote repository)
To try and evaluate CLion, you can download and install its trial version for free. The trial version is available for 30 days, whereupon you need to obtain and register a license.
- Do one of the following:
- Select how you want to register CLion:
- JetBrains Account: select this option if you have a JetBrains Account that allows you to access your purchases and manage licenses (see What is JetBrains Account? to learn more).
- Activation code: select this option if you have an activation code for CLion, and paste it to the text area.
- License server: select this option to register CLion through the License Server web application that allows you to manage floating licenses and issue licenses to users who do not have direct internet access.
- Download the latest version of CLion.
- Launch the setup as described in Download and install CLion.
- Choose whether you want to uninstall the existing product version together with its settings, caches and local history and follow the instructions of the installation wizard.
Manage CLion through Toolbox App
Toolbox App is a control panel that allows you to manage all JetBrains developer tools, including CLion, as well as your projects, from a single point of access. It lets you maintain different versions of the same tool, install updates and roll them back if needed. It also remembers your JetBrains Account and uses it to automatically log you in when you install and register new tools.
- Download Toolbox App.
- Launch the setup file.
Now you can manage existing tools, install new tools and download updates: