Navigate | Hierarchies
With dotPeek, you can investigate the inheritance hierarchy of types. You can see both base types and inheritors of the selected type and navigate to any of them with a single click. For any node in the hierarchy, you can view all or only polymorphic members in the preview pane.
- Open the desired type in the Code Viewer or expand it in the Assembly Explorer, and place the cursor on the type or a type member.
- On the main menu, choose Navigate | Hierarchies, or press Ctrl+Alt+HCtrl+E,H.
- Examine type hierarchy in the dedicated tab that adds to the Hierarchy window.
Some symbols in the tree are displayed in a bold font. It means that they inherit directly from the type being examined.
Hierarchies can be rather complicated, making it difficult to find one particular symbol,
especially when you have doubts about its name and place in the hierarchy.
In such case you can start typing a part of symbol's name and dotPeek displays a search box and
narrows down the set of elements in the window.
If you want to see what modules contain symbols in the hierarchy, select Containing Modules Hierarchy in the Group by list.
window is closed, you can view and examine previously generated hierarchies at any time by choosing
Windows | Hierarchies
on the main menu.
However, this command does not build any new hierarchies and the window may be empty if you have not built any hierarchies since the current solution has been open.
- In the hierarchy tree view, select the desired node.
- Click Base on This on the toolbar or choose the corresponding command in the context menu of the selection.
- Select a type in the hierarchy.
- Click Show Members on the toolbar or press Alt+P. The members preview pane displays at the bottom of the window:
- You can move the preview pane to the right of the window by clicking the down arrow next to Show Members on the toolbar and selecting Right.
- You can also preview either all members of a type, or just those that are polymorphic. To switch between these two modes, use the All Instance Members and Only Polymorphic Members buttons at the top of the preview pane.
This feature is inspired by and borrowed from JetBrains ReSharper, a developer productivity tool for Microsoft Visual Studio.
The instructions and examples given here address the use of the feature in C#. For details specific to other languages, see the corresponding topics in the ReSharper by Language section.