In Visual Studio:
dotCover | Cover Application
In dotCover standalone application:
File | Cover Application
With dotCover, you can run manual test sessions for Web applications on the Visual Studio Development Server (WebDev server). dotCover will start the specified version of the server for you and optionally a Web browser with the page of the target application, allowing you to execute the test scenario and record its coverage.
The application or process you choose must have PDB information. Otherwise, dotCover will not be able to record the coverage information. For more information, see where to search for PDB information
Do one of the following:
- On the Visual Studio main menu, choose dotCover | Cover Application or press Ctrl+Alt+K,K.
- On the main menu of dotCover standalone application, choose File | Cover Application or press Ctrl+C
- In the Cover Application dialog box that appears, choose WebDev Application and click OK.
- The Coverage Configuration dialog box opens.
Choose the desired version of Visual Studio Development Server in the
Server drop-down list.
Depending on the selected Server version, the appropriate runtime is used.
- In the Application path field, specify the path to your Web application root folder. This path corresponds to the path to your Web application project when you open it in Visual Studio.
If you want to start a Web browser with your application, tick the
Run browser check box and type the URL of your Web application.
If necessary, in the Browser drop-down list, change the browser that should be used.
Optionally, click the arrow in the bottom of the
Application options area
to configure additional application settings:
- In the Virtual Path field, you can specify the portion of the request URL that follows the server identifier if it differs from the Web site root. For example, type /yourApplication to run your application at http://yourWebSite.com/yourApplication.
- By default, the Web server port is detected automatically. To specify it explicitly, clear the Auto detect port check box and type a new port number in the Port field.
To configure additional coverage options, click the arrow in the bottom of the
Coverage options section.
The Edit Symbol Search Policy button that appears, allows specifying where to search for PDB information.
Run. dotCover will open the
dotCover Controller dialog box and then
start the specified Web application on Visual Studio Development Server.
You need then navigate to your application Web page in a browser or press
Ctrl+F5 to refresh the page.
If the Run Browser check box is selected, dotCover will start the selected Web browser or open a new Web page tab at the specified URL.
- If the Start profiling immediately check box was selected, the test session is started immediately. Otherwise, dotCover waits until you click Start Profiling in the dotCover Controller dialog box. When the test session is started, you can record code coverage in the test session.
- Starting Manual Test Session for External Applications
- Coverage Analysis of Manual Test Sessions
- Starting Manual Test Session for Startup Project
- Recording Coverage of Manual Test Session