Specifying License Information
dotCover is a commercial software, copyright protected under international law. Each copy of the product requires a license.
For new users, dotCover offers a 30-day free evaluation period. During this period, you can enjoy full functionality of the product and decide whether it suits your needs. The evaluation period can be paused and resumed with the Pause/Resume Evaluation button in the License Information dialog box. During the evaluation period you will be able to see how many days are left.
In this topic:
If you decide to use the product after the evaluation period, you need to obtain a license at dotCover website and specify the license information in one of the following ways:
- All personal and commercial licenses for JerBrains products can be managed through the JetBrains Account, which can be used as a way of specifying licensing information.
- All personal and commercial licenses can be specified with a license key.
- For corporate clients, dotCover allows storing and distributing license tickets through JetBrains License Server. The server allows enterprises to establish limited or unlimited number of product licenses and distribute them within the corporate network. The benefit of this approach is that as soon as the user closes the application, their license ticket returns automatically to the server and becomes available for other users.
To specify your license information
- On the main menu, choose .
dialog box that opens, use the check boxes to specify one or
more licensing options (you may need several options in case you have several JetBrains .NET products
licensed in different ways):
Use JB Account
- select this option if you have dotCover licenses bound to your JetBrains account.
To specify your account, click Add Account , then, in the dialog box that appears, enter your account credentials and click Log In. After successful login, dotCover will display the available licenses. If necessary, you can clear the check boxes next to the licenses that you do not want to use.
Note, that you should be connected to the Internet when specifying your JetBrains account credentials. After successful login, the Internet connection is not required.
Use License Keys
- select this option if you have a license key for dotCover.
To specify your license key, click Add License Key , then, in the dialog box that appears, enter your user name and the license key and click Add. If the license is valid, you will see the corresponding message.
Use License Server
- select this option if your company uses JetBrains License Server to distribute licenses.
If the license server is in your local network, dotCover would normally detect this server. In case the server is not detected automatically, click Add License Server , then, in the dialog box that appears, specify the server URL and click Add. If dotCover licenses are available on the server, you will see the corresponding message.
- Use JB Account - select this option if you have dotCover licenses bound to your JetBrains account.
- As soon as a valid product license becomes available through any of the licensing options, a green check marks appears next to the product with the details of the license.
- Click Close to apply the selected licensing option and close the dialog box.
License tickets from JetBrains License Server
If you are using JetBrains License Server, you can get two types of license tickets. By default, the server issues a floating ticket for you, which lasts as long as you are connected to the server. If you need to work offline, you can get a permanent license ticket.
The table below describes the differences between the two types of the license tickets.
|Floating license ticket (default)||At startup, dotCover finds the License server in the local network and requests a ticket, which is returned to the server and becomes available to other users when dotCover is closed. Both obtaining and returning of the ticket are done automatically.||Number of licenses on the license server can be less than the number of dotCover users. For example, if there are 60 engineers who use dotCover but only a maximum of 50 of them can use dotCover concurrently, then 50 licenses on the license server would be enough.||Connection to the License Server via a local network or VPN is required to start dotCover.|
|Permanent license ticket||Once obtained, a permanent ticket stays on a client machine. It is not available to other users until it is returned from the client. Both obtaining and returning of the ticket are done manually on the client or by a license sever administrator.||The client do not need a network connection to run dotCover.||The license obtained with a permanent ticket remains unavailable for other users even if the client do not use it.|
To obtain a permanent license ticket from the License Server
- In the License Information dialog box, check that a floating ticket from a license server is currently used (this should be written in the product license details).
- Click Request Permanent next to the license server option.
- In the Obtain Permanent License dialog box, that opens, specify your email address and click Send Request.
- Check your inbox and find the message from the license sever with the activation key.
- In the Activation key text box, enter the received activation key and click Activate License.
- Click Close. Note that if your License Server distributes a limited number of licenses, the license ticket that you hold remains unavailable to other users until you return it.