Web Application on Visual Studio Development Server
With dotCover, you can run coverage analysis for Web applications on the Visual Studio Development Server (WebDev server). dotCover will start the specified version of the server for you and optionally a Web browser with the page of the target application, allowing you to execute the coverage scenario and record it.
To start a coverage run on Visual Studio Development Server
- Do one of the following:
- In the Coverage Configuration dialog that appears, choose WebDev.
- In the Physical path field, specify the path to your Web application root folder. This path corresponds to the path to your Web application project when you open it in Visual Studio.
- If you want to start a Web browser with your application, tick the Open URL check box and type the URL of your Web application. If necessary, change the browser that should be used.
Optionally, tick the
check box to configure additional settings:
Choose the desired version of Visual Studio Development Server in the
Depending on the selected Server version, the appropriate runtime is used.
field, you can specify the portion of the request URL
that follows the server identifier if it differs from the Web site root.
For example, type
/yourApplicationto run your application at
- By default, the Web server port is detected automatically. To specify it explicitly, clear the Autodetect check box and type a new port number in the Port field.
- Click Edit Symbol Search Policy to specify where to search for PDB information.
- Click Edit Filters to view existing and add new coverage filters. Note that the filters you add with this button are only applied to the current session.
- Choose the desired version of Visual Studio Development Server in the Server drop-down list.
Run. dotCover will open the
Coverage Controller dialog and then
start the specified Web application on Visual Studio Development Server.
You need then navigate to your application Web page in a browser or press
to refresh the page.
If the Run Browser check box is selected, dotCover will start the selected Web browser or open a new Web page tab at the specified URL.
- If the Start immediately check box was selected, the coverage run starts immediately. Otherwise, dotCover waits until you click Start in the Coverage Controller dialog. When the coverage run is started, you can record code coverage.