Starting Coverage Analysis for External Applications
dotCover allows you to run coverage analysis for .NET applications and processes that have PDB information. You can analyze coverage for the following types of applications and processes:
Finding symbol files (PDB)
Locating symbol files (PDB) for the target binaries is vital for calculating coverage. If you cover unit tests or cover the startup project, dotCover easily locates symbol files using the structure of the current solution.
By default, dotCover search symbol files in the following places:
- in the same directory where the binary file resides;
- in the debug directory that is specified inside the binary file;
- in all directories specified in the
_NT_SYMBOL_PATHenvironment variable and in the registry;
If necessary, you can specify other places to look for symbol files. To do so, tick Advanced in the Coverage Configuration dialog, and then click Edit Symbol Search Policy.
- In the Search path field, provide a semicolon separated list of paths to search for symbol files. Each path can be either a directory path or a symbol server path (e.g. srv*C:\LocalSymbols*http://symbolserver:33417/).
- Tick the Access symbol server to allow dotCover access symbol servers specified either in the Search path field, or in
You can also disable some of the default ways to search for symbol files.