You can profile .NET applications not only on the local computer, but on a remote computer as well. Moreover, in order to profile remotely, you don't have to install dotMemory on a remote computer. Nevertheless, remote profiling requires a number of preparation steps on the remote computer.
dotMemory uses the HTTP-based web service for remote profiling. This allows avoiding the majority of authentication problems and problems with firewalls.
- On the remote computer, do the following:
- Copy Remote Agent from the ...\Program Files (x86)\JetBrains\dotMemory\v4.0\Bin\Remote directory on your local computer to any directory on the remote computer.
- Start Remote Agent from the console on the remote computer.
- Make sure that the profiled app is running on .NET Framework 4.0 or later.
- Make sure that inbound connections to Remote Agent are not blocked by the firewall.
If you use Windows Firewall, open Control Panel | Windows Firewall | Advanced settings | Inbound Rules and check that connections are allowed in the Agent.Remote.WebServer rules.
- On the local computer, start dotMemory as a standalone application. Do one of the following:
- On the menu bar, choose File | Profile. The Profile dialog box opens. Choose an application type, then click OK or just double-click it.
- Click Profile or Attach to Process (if you want to profile an already running app) on the Home tab. Click an application type from the list.
The Profiler Configuration dialog box opens.
- Click Profile on remote computer in the Profiler Configuration dialog box. The Add Host dialog box opens.
- Type the address of the remote agent service in the
Url text box.
By default, the URL is http://[remote_computer_IP_address]:9000/RemoteAgent/AgentService.asmx. However, you can change the default port and virtual directory of the service using Remote Agent's command line options. Run 'RemoteAgent.exe help' for more details.
- Click Add to close the current dialog box and establish connection with the remote host.
- Configure other profiling settings in the Profiler Configuration dialog box as described in Configuring Profiling Process.
- Click Run.
WarningdotMemory takes privileges into account. Thus, it works only with those processes that can be reached according to the rights of the current user account.
If the process you are looking for is missing, restart Remote Agent as administrator. This will allow you to see more processes running in the system.