Getting Started with Vaadin
IntelliJ IDEA lets you create and manage projects using Vaadin framework that optimizes your Web application development. Note that before you start creating your project you need to make sure that Vaadin SDK is downloaded on your computer and Vaadin plugin is enabled in IntelliJ IDEA.
Creating Vaadin Project with Project Wizard
- Open Project Wizard, under Java Enterprise select Vaadin framework.
- Specify the following settings:
- Project SDK - specify your project SDK.
- JavaEE version - specify the version of JavaEE or use the default option.
- Application Server - specify the application server or use the default server. IntelliJ IDEA creates a run configuration for your Vaadin application.
- Version - for IntelliJ IDEA 13 and later, you can choose either Vaadin 6 or 7 version.
- Vaadin distribution - enter the location of Vaadin installation on your machine.
If Vaadin is not installed, then the warning message with the appropriate link appears. Click the link, download "All-in-One Archive" ZIP file and unpack it to the desired location.
- Create sample application - select this check box to either enter the name of the sample application or use the default name.
- Click Next.
- Specify your project information and click Finish.
IntelliJ IDEA creates a project with Web application and all necessary configurations.
Running Vaadin Application
Since the application server is specified you can run your application and view the output in the default browser http://localhost:8080/ .
Debugging Vaadin Application
IntelliJ IDEA lets you easily start a debugging session for your project.
Let's choose one of the debugging actions, for example, Toggle Line Breakpoint.
- Place the caret on the desired line of the source code. Press Ctrl+ F8 or from the main menu select Run | Toggle Line Breakpoint.
- Press Shift + Alt + F9 to start a debugging session.
- View results in the Debugger console.