Plugin Development Guidelines
Before you start
- Download and install a JDK.
- Make sure that the Plugin DevKit plugin is enabled, see Enabling and Disabling Plugins.
- Optionally, download the IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition sources. This will make debugging your plugins much easier.
To develop an IntelliJ IDEA plugin
Follow these general steps:
- Start IntelliJ IDEA.
- Configure the IntelliJ Platform Plugin SDK.
- Create a project for plugin development.
- Create the necessary source elements and write the source code.
- Run and debug your plugin.
- Prepare the plugin for publishing.
For more information on IntelliJ IDEA plugin development, refer to the Writing Plug-ins page.
Last modified: 13 July 2016