The following rename refactorings are available in IntelliJ IDEA:
- Rename Package. The following usages are renamed:
- Rename Method. The following usages are renamed:
- Rename Field.
- Rename Function.
- Rename Variable.
- Rename Parameter. The following usages are renamed:
- Rename CSS color value.
- Rename File.
- Rename Directory.
To rename a symbol, follow these general steps
- Select the item to be renamed.
- To select a file, click the desired file in the Project tool window.
- To select a symbol in the editor, place the caret at the name of the symbol to be renamed.
- To select a symbol in the Project tool window, make sure that the members are shown, and then click the desired symbol.
- To select a symbol in the Structure view, click the desired symbol in the Structure tool window.
- Choose on the main menu or on the context menu, or press Shift+F6.
- The subsequent behavior depends on the check box
Enable in-place mode
- If this check box is selected, the suggested name appears right below the symbol in question. You can either accept suggestion, or type a new name. However, if you press Shift+F6 once more, IntelliJ IDEA will display the Rename dialog box with more options.
- If this check box is not selected, the Rename dialog box opens immediately.
The set of controls and their names depend on the type of the symbol to be renamed.
If you want IntelliJ IDEA
to find and rename objects related to the renamed class, whose names contain the
changed string, check one or more of the following options:
- Rename variables to rename the variables of that class type.
- Rename inheritors to rename class inheritors.
- Rename bound forms to rename the GUI forms bound to the class.
If you chose to rename any of the objects bound to the renamed class, IntelliJ IDEA searches for appropriate items and displays them in a sequence of dialogs, sorted by type. In each dialog you may select the items you want to change.
- Preview and apply changes.
- Local variables are renamed in-place:
To be able to use the Rename dialog when renaming local variables, you should disable in-place refactoring in the editor settings.